• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Adding reefbrite to sunpower

I'm looking for a little bit of input here. I am currently running a ATI Sunpower 8x80w over my 180G Reef. The reef is Very heavy on the SPS side and quite lite on the LPS side. My bulb line up is as follows:
FRONT
Blue+
Purple+
Coral+
Blue+
Blue+
Coral+
Blue+
Blue+
I am getting great growth and colors as is. What I am mainly looking for is the POP. but would still welcome any added par. I am currently in between the Reefbrite Tech strip and the XHO. I am not sure the Tech is going to even show through the T5's. I would think the XHO would show through, but I'm not sure if its overkill or not. I know very little about these lights so any and all help would be welcome. And while we are at it, which color would be ideal for the strip? Any change in bulb combo for the T5? And finally, 1 strip in front or should I go with a second for the back? I already spoke with a couple of people here but still wanted to throw it out there for the masses. Thanks in advance
John

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
I have 72 inch XHO an it is just mere a moon light in my tank. Funny you posted this, we were talking about this in the meeting today.
Save your money, it is just not worth it.

I have 72 inch XHO an it is just mere a moon light in my tank. Funny you posted this, we were talking about this in the meeting today.
Save your money, it is just not worth it.

So you don't feel like your seeing and of the POP from the blues? Your running 10 bulbs right.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
No pop what so ever. With T5 on the reebrite XHO are mere moon lights. Come take a look for yourself, John.

I'll come take a look just to see the tank, gotta do that soon. I do believe you about the strip though.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I will say I notice mine through my 6 bulb. When all 6 are on its minimal but it's there. I think through 8 bulbs you would need an XHO

I was just thinking that a switch to the Hybrid Powermodule might be in the cards until I looked up the price for it. That is just in-F'n-sane.

horseplay

NJRC Member
I don't have the reefbrite but looking up the price it's not cheap either. 60" XHO is $423 a piece and only 72W. To match the LED clusters in the 60" Hybrid you will need 4 of these.