• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Adding Sand

I want to add some more sand but I'm alittle nervous about it because the last time I did it crashed the tank. If I get a bag or 2 of the "LiveSand" can I just add that strait to the tank? Or do I need to cure it?

Josh

I'd go with dry sand. I'm skeptical of what is still alive in a bag of sand that has been sitting on a shelf.

I agree definitely dry sand. No live. Hidden reef sells dry and live Fiji pink. Tropic Eden is also awesome stuff. It's only available through premium aquatics though

I've added both of the ones I named to existing setup on more then a few occasions with no ill effects.

Is it dustless? or do you need to rinse first?

The only reason I'm adding sand is I feel bad for the wrasse and pistol shrimp as there is very little sand for them to use.

The Fiji pink will need a good rinsing the tropic Eden is pretty darn clean. But you should be rinsing either way. With both, I rinsed with rodi until water ran clear. Then drained and rinsed with saltwater. Then added. Use a small cup and add a little at a time. Turn off you pumps and powerheads so it doesn't blow around as you add.

I'm not sure how much sand you have now but I would be careful not to disturb it.
Another way would be to drain tank into buckets and pull all rock and livestock. Drain almost all of the water and reuse it. Pull all the old sand and replace with new. Then add everything back. I've done this with my old nano when I replaced the sandbed with the Fiji pink. I also took the time to give the rock a good shake to blow off detritus when I did this as well.

I have always used dry substrate, I think the "live" sand is really more wet than "live", and is more expensive. Before I add it, I fill about 1/3 of a 5 gal. bucket, and add enough water to fill to about 2/3's. I then use my hand and dig into it and mix it up to suspend as much of the finer stuff that I can, let it settle for a few seconds, and dump off as much as you can in the toilet, I do this about three times during a WC's. I will then transfer the sand to a gallon size freezer bag, lower it into the tank, and slowly dump it in the area's I want to build up. You might also try using a piece of PVC pipe ~ 2" along with a funnel at the top to get the substrate to the bottom. This will help eliminate some of the cloudiness, but you'll never do enough to eliminate it. BTW, I use a sugar sized aragonite substrate, so its inclined to be more cloudy than some others.
Also, I wouldn't do more than 1/2" to 3/4" at a time, if you're covering/adding to an existing sand bed.

As of right now my sand bed is almost nonexistant (couple of bare spots)as the only area's it has been build up is due to the Pistol Shrimp moving the sand around.

Regardless of what kind of sand you get. You should add it slowly. Over the course of a few days. Longer if your situation permits. Do not add all the sand at once. it will start a cycle and your tank can crash. I do suggest going with dry if your tank has already cycled and is established. THat way you dont have to worry about the die off on the wet sand. Also make sure you rinse it with RO water so it does not cloud up you tank with the fine dust. This is what i have done everytime i have added new sand to my system and had no problems.

Regardless of what kind of sand you get. You should add it slowly. Over the course of a few days. Longer if your situation permits. Do not add all the sand at once. it will start a cycle and your tank can crash. I do suggest going with dry if your tank has already cycled and is established. THat way you dont have to worry about the die off on the wet sand. Also make sure you rinse it with RO water so it does not cloud up you tank with the fine dust. This is what i have done everytime i have added new sand to my system and had no problems.

My tank kinda went to sh** so I figured now would be the best time to add it. LOL.

I might just do like jraz said and empty the tank and start a new as the algae situation is getting out of control. Probably do some good pulling the rocks out and giving them a good shake out.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have found the best way to add sand is to get a pvc pipe….1 ½ to 2 inch diameter….that is a little longer than the depth of you tank. Put a wide mouth funnel on the top. Place this pipe in your tank all the way to the bottom. Slowly fill the pipe with sand. You have to do this slowly because you are displacing the water. When the pipe is filled with sand, slightly lift the pipe up and move it around to distribute the sand. This will minimize cloudy water. Works well.

I agree with others; if it’s a good amount of sand, do it over a few days.

I have added "live" sand before. Primarily used live because it was on sale and cheaper than the dry. The key pieces I would re-iterate. Do not add all sand at once. I added over a 10 day period. When I added my sand I used a cake icing bag and cut a larger hole at the bottom. This allowed me to be precise on my placement which I wanted at the time The PVC pipe idea is a good approach as well. Especially because you do not have to have your arms in the tank