• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Advice for an led light

I was going to buy a waterbox 50g cube, 24 x 24 x 22 and buy a nanobox Quad light. However I decided to have a custom built reef tank by SCA aquariums , tank & stand incl shipping for a very good price. The nanobox Quad won't be enough for this tank
32" × 24" × 20" , 66g AIO. DT will be approx. 50g. I've been looking at : kessil AP700, 2 AI Hydra's 26, Maxspect Razor X 150W, Reefbreeders Photon V2 32.
All have their good/bad points especially with their WiFi phone apps. I was leaning towards the AP700 but has a steep price of $800 + another $130 for the mounts. The Photon v2 32 is only $500 incl tank mounts & is 220w, plus it comes with its own WiFi controller. Problem is its a little clunky to use & learn. There is no acclimation mode & ramping is not smooth - can only be done in 1hr increments. So it takes awhile to program.
Any opinions? TIA
John M

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
What are you planning on stocking ?

Sps ?

Reef breeders will probably give you the best coverage

Look into the Orphek Atlantic compact v4 I've heard good things about them and they cover alot of area.​

Last edited:

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I have two AP700s. They are a great light. Aside from management, it’s perfect. The Kessil logic is great, and makes sure that any coloration you choose keeps the spectrum of light the corals need.

I do not like that I need to be on my network to manage them. They are not manageable through Apex, but the 360we I have is.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
going to suggest either AP700s or Hydra 26 HDs. leaning more towards, the Hydras for flexibility on the position of the device.

I vote two hydra 26’s. Look nice and you should have no problem with SPS.
I've seen a lot of complaints about their wfi phone app. A lot of people saying they either have a hard time connecting or sometimes one light works & second one doesn't or works sporadically or "connection times out" and then have to go thru whole process again.

horseplay

NJRC Member
I've seen a lot of complaints about their wfi phone app. A lot of people saying they either have a hard time connecting or sometimes one light works & second one doesn't or works sporadically or "connection times out" and then have to go thru whole process again.

I only had a brief experience with a hydra 26 and I had no problem at all with the app. I like the color the light puts out. I wouldn’t worry too much the app is quite easy to use. With such big user base there probably are some complaints but a lot have to do with user error.