• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Advice please

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
So I've decided to pull the majority of sand from my main display.
This is done for 3 reasons:
1) I was stupid enough to get another pistol shrimp, and he likes blocking his doors with corals.
2) I can't catch the m*&^er%((&er.
3) I've actually always wanted to try a bare bottom.

Plan: Do a 2g water change daily, moving out sand and putting in water.

Goal: Rescape tank for more sps space and open up the floor for some zoas as well as having the ability to just glue things straight to the floor.

Annnnnd, here's where advice needed and appreciated....

I'm thinking to cover the entire bottom of the tank.
I can go with a piece of starboard (marine plank) cut to size or I can use those square ceramic tiles (small or large) that I see folks selling frags on.
The tile option seems cool as I can remove pieces and replace as corals grow.

Thoughts? Best option?
If the tiles is the best option is anyone using them currently? Recommendation on what to purchase?

Appreciate any discussion or input.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
If you use tiles, a lot of yucky gunk will build up underneath them. Then you will have even more problems.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
When you pull your sand, watch your alk. Sand has some buffering propoerties to it and when you remove it, it can swing your alk at first. Just test for the first couple of days.

I agree with the above with not putting the tiles in. I also think they can trap a lot of gunk, which again is what your trying to solve with bare bottom.

I have tiles in one of my tanks that's a bare bottom. I keep the gunk at a minimum by not completely covering the bottom with tiles. During water changes I get most of the gunk by moving the tiles a bit.