• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Advise on overflow box

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
So what brand does everyone who drills their tank use? I am thinking of ordering Exotic Marine's overflow. Don't know if that is the best choice. I have no idea what to look for in an overflow:oo:.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I ordered a kit from glassholes. They've got a great reputation, the builds are solid, and they include everything you need, including the drillbit.
I've also used Eshopps, which I had to buy the drillbit for, but it did come with a number of mounting options and a hole cutting guide that worked well.
If I were drilling again I'd probably go with glassholes.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member

I actually have the medium version of that on a 40b right now, it works quite well. Nice to see they're including the bit now.
The only concern I had was that the inside surface skimmer piece sits low in the tank (40b) so that the waterline is clearly visible 1" or so below the tank rim. I don't like seeing the water line, so when I mounted it i had to cut away some of the black top edge trimming on the tank so the inside piece would sit higher. If you go this option and want to know what I'm babbling about I can send some pics.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I actually have the medium version of that on a 40b right now, it works quite well. Nice to see they're including the bit now.
The only concern I had was that the inside surface skimmer piece sits low in the tank (40b) so that the waterline is clearly visible 1" or so below the tank rim. I don't like seeing the water line, so when I mounted it i had to cut away some of the black top edge trimming on the tank so the inside piece would sit higher. If you go this option and want to know what I'm babbling about I can send some pics.

I know exactly what you are referring to. A friend of mine had to do the same thing to his tank.

Does the external box top sit much lower that the internal box? Is it better to have the two equal in height so the outer doesn't flood the floor?

Last edited:
This may not matter to you but it does to me. So I am passing on one small piece of information for you to consider. Many of the less expensive overflows do not come with a cover for the box. I personally would not get one without a nice snug lid. IMO. The one nemesis of the over flow is snails. And covering the inside portion of the overflow will close to guarantee you will keep them out. Along with jumping fish and a number of other things you would like to keep out. Of course you could cobble some sort of lid but seems the cost difference just isn't that much. For instance marine depot has lids front and back is drilled been animal has a template and drill bit and is only 110 bucks. I have never used it and am not recommending one brand over another. Just felt you should be aware of your options.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
This may not matter to you but it does to me. So I am passing on one small piece of information for you to consider. Many of the less expensive overflows do not come with a cover for the box. I personally would not get one without a nice snug lid. IMO. The one nemesis of the over flow is snails. And covering the inside portion of the overflow will close to guarantee you will keep them out. Along with jumping fish and a number of other things you would like to keep out. Of course you could cobble some sort of lid but seems the cost difference just isn't that much. For instance marine depot has lids front and back is drilled been animal has a template and drill bit and is only 110 bucks. I have never used it and am not recommending one brand over another. Just felt you should be aware of your options.

That is the reason i was looking at the Exotic Marine. I like the covers. I absolutely know nothing about overflow boxes. Wish the overflow boxes were sold on Amazon. Love reading the Cons first then the Pros of an item.