• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

AEFW

Battling some AEFW in my SPS dedicated tank and will be moving all sps this weekend after a strong Revive dip. Does anyone know the incubation period for the eggs. I thought I had read it was two weeks, yet the aforementioned thread here has the reefer "re-dipping" again in 4 days. Was just curious if any one knows. If this does not work, I am so aborting SPS.......Thanks mates

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
You could also get flat worm exit from salifert and just nuke your whole tank. Will save you the time of dipping every coral.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Your best bet would be to treat the whole tank with interceptor.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't think that AEFW are susceptible to FWE or Interceptor, if I'm not mistaken. That would be just too easy with a bug that is reported to be an absolute miserable experience to irradicate. I think that people have had some success with blowing off the corals on a daily basis to send the worms into the water column to serve as food, but I'm not sure which fish (if not all) will use them for a meal.

There was some talk of something that helps with them, but I don't believe either of those will help.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I know interceptor won't work and heard FWE doesn't work either. There's some stuff by Blue Line that puts a dent in them. 6 line wrass help keep them at bay as well.

mnat said:
You could also get flat worm exit from salifert and just nuke your whole tank. Will save you the time of dipping every coral.

Flat Worm Exit does not kill AEFW... Beem there,, done that, nada....

Phyl said:
I don't think that AEFW are susceptible to FWE or Interceptor, if I'm not mistaken. That would be just too easy with a bug that is reported to be an absolute miserable experience to irradicate. I think that people have had some success with blowing off the corals on a daily basis to send the worms into the water column to serve as food, but I'm not sure which fish (if not all) will use them for a meal.

There was some talk of something that helps with them, but I don't believe either of those will help.

Your correct Phyl. I have been battling these miserable creatures for 6 months.I have read how reefers attempt to cure the problem by "blowing" off AEFW with a turkey baster. Its a totally flawed approach as they will just latch on to the next piece of Acro as they float through the water column. I have like 60 acros and the minute they start browning up , I know they are infected. I dipped a sizable Valida last night with Revive and some 50 miserable worms came crawling out from under the skin. Even if I then carve off any visible eggs,the coral gets reinfected within a week given the other AEFW in the tank. So, today, I am removing every piece, dipping 5 at a time in a 5 gallon heavy dose of Revive, and then transferring them all to a 55 Q tank which has been up for a while and does not have AWFW. Once they are all moved , I will then re-dip all of them every 5 days for 3 cycles. This kind of trauma to Acros may kill them all just by the move.If they survive the transfer yet still remain infected, I will open a beer, concede to nature and toss the whole collection in the trash post haste. I am just at a point where this has become a frustrating , mindless exercise of futility. Thanks for your input.....

Gonzapa said:
ds4x4 said:
mandarin will eat them so will scooter blennies
What about levamisole? I know it works wonders with regular flat worms

Levamisole is the only known quasi tank treatment. I have done the reasearch and spoken to someone who has used it. More often than not, it will wipe out 75+ of your corals. With Revive, they all recover after the stress of the dip.

ds4x4 said:
mandarin will eat them so will scooter blennies
I have a 6 line and he does nothing... Plus the worms are under the skin for the most part.....The infestation gets to a point where a natural predator just cant keep up with the hatching cycles...

trigger99 said:
I have read how reefers attempt to cure the problem by "blowing" off AEFW with a turkey baster. Its a totally flawed approach as they will just latch on to the next piece of Acro as they float through the water column. ...

I battled them a while back. And yes, the approach of blowing them off may not be 100% effective, but I haven't lost a single coral to AEFW (knock on wood). Those corals of mine that I was able to remove and dip in Revive received exactly that treatment - repeatedly, I might add. But I also had acros which were heavily encrusted, and I was not gonna dislodge them, so I opted for the "blowing off" technique. In the beginning I did this daily, using a turkey baster, a HUGE syringe, AND a modified power head. In the beginning I even blasted my acros with RO/DI water, sending those suckers flying. And my wrasses didn't hesitate gobbling them up. Like I said, it's a LOT of work, but if you want to save your corals - and I highly encourage that you do - it will work.

I was ready to throw the towel when I found out I had them. I am glad I didn't.

Of course I am acutely aware that I can never guarantee to not have AEFW anymore, but my corals are certainly thriving, and I have yet to see another one of those bastards floating away as I blow off my corals bi-weekly - just as a precaution.

IMG_4107.jpg

JerseyWendy said:
trigger99 said:
I have read how reefers attempt to cure the problem by "blowing" off AEFW with a turkey baster. Its a totally flawed approach as they will just latch on to the next piece of Acro as they float through the water column. ...

I battled them a while back. And yes, the approach of blowing them off may not be 100% effective, but I haven't lost a single coral to AEFW (knock on wood). Those corals of mine that I was able to remove and dip in Revive received exactly that treatment - repeatedly, I might add. But I also had acros which were heavily encrusted, and I was not gonna dislodge them, so I opted for the "blowing off" technique. In the beginning I did this daily, using a turkey baster, a HUGE syringe, AND a modified power head. In the beginning I even blasted my acros with RO/DI water, sending those suckers flying. And my wrasses didn't hesitate gobbling them up. Like I said, it's a LOT of work, but if you want to save your corals - and I highly encourage that you do - it will work.

I was ready to throw the towel when I found out I had them. I am glad I didn't.

Of course I am acutely aware that I can never guarantee to not have AEFW anymore, but my corals are certainly thriving, and I have yet to see another one of those bastards floating away as I blow off my corals bi-weekly - just as a precaution.

IMG_4107.jpg

Your the best Wendy. I have been battling these for 6 months and its just gets to the point of "I am so done with this " I am 5 hours into the "dip and transfer to QT" program and I have at least another two hours to go... I will keep you posted as this nightmare proceeds.....

Hang in there! You can beat these suckers! Don't get discouraged, please. Kudos to you for going through with the Q-tank. I know how much work this is, but as long as you don't give up, I'm sure your corals will reward you.

Hey john....Keep it up....I'm around all week if you need any help with anything!! You'll beat them....you've come this far!!

Aqua Farms Fluke Tabs will work. I tried the levamisole route and the corals do not like it, 30% chance of death even with precautions. I've never tried revive like Wendy, but the Aqua Farms fluke tabs will do the job.

Want proof?

look here:

concept3 said:
Aqua Farms Fluke Tabs will work. I tried the levamisole route and the corals do not like it, 30% chance of death even with precautions. I've never tried revive like Wendy, but the Aqua Farms fluke tabs will do the job.

Want proof?

look here:

The link or picture is missing...