• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Aefw?

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Its tough to say, but I would lean towards it not being bite marks. They are usually underneath the acro and irregular. Here is a pic of what they look like so you can compare.

AEFW3.jpg

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
it's hard to tell by your photo best bet is to take out the acro and look for small circular bite marks on and around the base. if that is present, get something to dip your corals in like Bayer, ReVive, Lugol's. dip your corals and see if anything falls off. full grown falt worms are detectable by the naked eye, they look like small brown flakes.

Its tough to say, but I would lean towards it not being bite marks. They are usually underneath the acro and irregular. Here is a pic of what they look like so you can compare.

AEFW3.jpg

On that picture you can even see the worms? They are the little specks?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Darren beat me to it, I've just been getting beat by everyone today on post. haha

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
On that picture you can even see the worms? They are the little specks?

Usually its almost impossible to see the worms, I think the little specks in that photo are actually polyps of the acro.

Usually its almost impossible to see the worms, I think the little specks in that photo are actually polyps of the acro.

I really didn't think it would be. Since losing my sps that is like the last of my sps. I just noticed those spots. I moved the rock to more directly under my lights maybe that is why. I turned down the intensity this morning. Probably gonna remove more bio pellets also.

it's hard to tell by your photo best bet is to take out the acro and look for small circular bite marks on and around the base. if that is present, get something to dip your corals in like Bayer, ReVive, Lugol's. dip your corals and see if anything falls off. full grown falt worms are detectable by the naked eye, they look like small brown flakes.

I have never had them, but you have to remove your coral to dip them? There is no in tank treatment ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
yes, you will need to remove them to dip and you must do this for several weeks because AEFWs lay eggs and at this point no know dips are proven to kill the eggs so you will need wait till they hatch and dip.

unfortunately, no proven in tank/reef safe treatments are available. Sunny did mention to try Prazipro for an in tank AEFW treatment but I've never tried this myself.

AEF are tough to get rid of. For me, the easiest way to see the worms is to take the coral out of the water, and hold it under your lights for a minute or so. That makes the worm move, and if you look really closely, you can see it moving.

To really determine if you have them, remove the coral, use a magnifying glass, and look for those circular bite marks. Then, dip. I like Revive, it stuns them and you are able to remove the adults. You can cover the eggs with epoxy, they almost look like greenish brown algae, and are frequently at the base of the coral on dead tissue (I got the epoxy tip from Darren, it solves a whole world of problems when you can see eggs, but can't get at them).

Remember AEF isn't a single treatment, but weeks to months of treatment.

My 200g is going to be SPS dominant and I just cringe about the thought of getting AEFW's! Every piece I get will be cut from the base or from any dead tissue part I see, and will be magnified, dipped, if I see any signs of AEFW's I am not taking any chances, I will just throw them out!

From your first pic I do not think its AEFWs but it is hard to say

Like said above dip dip dip and inspect with good light and a magnifying glass

You may have to check several times a day for a week or more just to learn what you are looking at and confirm if you have them or not.

If you do .... hold on!