• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Aefw?

I only have one thing to say…….1 ml per 100 mls of tank water:

BayerAdvanced.jpg

From what I know, this stuff is not effective towards the egg's of the AEFW's...

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I have been using the zeo flatworm stop for a while now along with the coral booster and the potassium. It is very good at making your corals color up and makes them very healthy. Does it rid the tank of AEFW? No. That being said, I still dose it daily as it does make your SPS look amazing.

I have been using the zeo flatworm stop for a while now along with the coral booster and the potassium. It is very good at making your corals color up and makes them very healthy. Does it rid the tank of AEFW? No. That being said, I still dose it daily as it does make your SPS look amazing.

Do you split the dose daily or just dose once a day

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Did you test your potassium before you started dosing?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Dose once a day and we were doing x2 dose of flat worm stop for a little while. No I did not test potassium and still do not.

Dose once a day and we were doing x2 dose of flat worm stop for a little while. No I did not test potassium and still do not.

I have read potassium can be very important for ulns was thinking about starting to dose it

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Yeah I have seen some people dosing Brightwell's potassion with great success. I have never dosed it in the past, and this is very ancedotal, but my blue SPS have amazing color since I have been dosing it. This could also be do to the huge system upgrade, the calcium reactor, and other traits. By blue torts and stags look incredible so I will keep dosing it.

So I got both coral booster and flatworm stop. Just wonder if you dose at full strength ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I dose the recommended strength. So 1ml per 25gi the ratio I use and it seems to be oing well.

Zeovit makes a flatworm treatment. Its an in tank daily dose treatment. It actually works in a way without toxins. It works by making the mucus layer on sps thicker over time(key words!) In turn not letting the flat worms be able to eat the coral causing them to starve. They lay eggs on the dead or eaten crevices also. But they will eventually die off. But it takes time. It helps to pull the coral and dip them. Bayer is harsh ive used it but have noticed a lot of coral loose color for a while after a dip. And most smooth skin sps don't survive. I like revive and iodine dips. Or a flat worm exit bath. While treating the tank with the new zeo product. Even if you don't have Aefw it is a good preventive measure. (I in no way am affiliated with zeo. I just like their products)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Zeovit makes a flatworm treatment. Its an in tank daily dose treatment. It actually works in a way without toxins. It works by making the mucus layer on sps thicker over time(key words!) In turn not letting the flat worms be able to eat the coral causing them to starve. They lay eggs on the dead or eaten crevices also. But they will eventually die off. But it takes time. It helps to pull the coral and dip them. Bayer is harsh ive used it but have noticed a lot of coral loose color for a while after a dip. And most smooth skin sps don't survive. I like revive and iodine dips. Or a flat worm exit bath. While treating the tank with the new zeo product. Even if you don't have Aefw it is a good preventive measure. (I in no way am affiliated with zeo. I just like their products)

We have been using Zeo Flatworm Stop religiously since September 2012 (we found AEF in late August) - 7 months. That is a lot of $ in zeo.
From our experience, it does not prevent the AEF from biting the coral. I wish it did, but that has not been the case for us. If they worms were going to starve to death, I would not still be treating now, and doing dips in Revive to get the adults, and epoxying over clumps of eggs/cutting the corals to remove dead tissue.
The Flatworm Stop combined with the Coral Booster does seem to help the corals in the fight, but that alone does not, in my experience, result in AEF starving to death, and without dips, in my experience the corals will eventually die.

We have been using Zeo Flatworm Stop religiously since September 2012 (we found AEF in late August) - 7 months. That is a lot of $ in zeo.
From our experience, it does not prevent the AEF from biting the coral. I wish it did, but that has not been the case for us. If they worms were going to starve to death, I would not still be treating now, and doing dips in Revive to get the adults, and epoxying over clumps of eggs/cutting the corals to remove dead tissue.
The Flatworm Stop combined with the Coral Booster does seem to help the corals in the fight, but that alone does not, in my experience, result in AEF starving to death, and without dips, in my experience the corals will eventually die.

I agree 100% which is why I do both. I have been lucky and have not had any issues with red bugs or Aefw in any of my systems which I propagated coral. But I also used a seperate tank to QT and treat for abt 2 weeks before going into main system.

I Aso agree that they are definitely hard to kill or starve bc some corals react differently. But with each new introduction into the system is always a chance to reintroduce new critters even if it was just one cluster of eggs that made it thru. Its a tough battle. And just a reminder not all flat worms are Aefw. Some are photosynthetic and they're the ones you may see on your glass or overflows expecially when you have a really healthy system and notice an explosion of copepods. A couple wrasses always help with them.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We did our first dip today with the reef pest solutions all out dip. Will update on the progress.