• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Afraid to do large scale water changes?

When you have access to reef water it sure is easy to promote this. In the majority of cases this is really not fesible.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I want to further add to what John says above…..natural sea water, not an issue. However, I would strongly suggest not doing this extremely large water change with the powdered salts most (if not all) of us use. These “synthetic” salts contain ammonia to help in dissolution. With small water changes, this is not an issue. I would be concerned about this ammonia with a large water change.

I want to further add to what John says above…..natural sea water, not an issue. However, I would strongly suggest not doing this extremely large water change with the powdered salts most (if not all) of us use. These “synthetic” salts contain ammonia to help in dissolution. With small water changes, this is not an issue. I would be concerned about this ammonia with a large water change.

Paul you seem to be filled with a ton of info so I have to ask what salt do you use and if you say you make your own I think my head will explode :)

That's was my max as well. After that I was checking things every 5 min to make sure all was well.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Paul you seem to be filled with a ton of info so I have to ask what salt do you use and if you say you make your own I think my head will explode :)

BOOM! :grin:

Actually I have two main interests; I’m a tinkerer and a chemist (and biologist). So I very much enjoy DIY stuff and the chemistry stuff. I’ve read a bunch of the chemistry stuff and believe Randy Holmes Farley is the God of Reef Chemistry. Accordingly I’ve read a bunch of his stuff….and this ammonia thing was mentioned in one of his articles.

As far as the salt I use, it is/was ReefCrystals. I’m in the process of switching over to Instant Ocean, where I’ll dose what I want to put into my tank. (FYI, Randy Holmes uses Instant Ocean as well).

As far as a “ton of information,” it’s only about a pound and a half. :grin:

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
I did the same thing paul,switched over to strait up IO a couple years ago and the only thing I dose is brightwell elemental and knock on wood all is well.