• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

AI HYDRA settings

Anybody run Hydra's? I've been playing with these settings for about 6 months now on my 90 gal. I have two Hydra 52 HDs. I cant seem to find a setting that will give good growth and color. Ive downloaded profiles from all over the web. Who is running these with good results? And would you care to share your profile with me? This is the current one that I am running. Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 7.22.52 PM.png

I use four Hydra 52 on my 125 gal reef system. This is an older model compared to the Hydra 52 HD. However, I do use them with a director.

I use a very simple system. Light ramp up for an hour starting at on at 9 AM and start to ramp down at 9 PM. I run the most of the colors at about 85% max, except white which I run at about 55% max, and green that I run about 70% max. No "special effects" are used. At night the deep blue are run at 5% max.

You are going to find that just about any reasonably normal profile will work just fine, and as long as your profile isn't extreme there isn't really too much too much difference as far as coral growth goes. I have found it nice to be able to cut back on the red or green as part of controlling algae.

If your happw with the way you have it set up now, no need to alter it. In my opinion, it's a waste of time to "hyper tune" the lighting profile to get it "absolutely perfect".

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I dont know if this will help or not. I was running 2 hydra 26s over my 90 and ran a par meter with the lights on various settings.
Unsure how this would transcribe over to the 52s, but at least its some info...

HydraWhites_zpsnbtqn5o7.jpg
HydraBluess_zpsp9tn08q2.jpg
HydraWhitesBlues_zps6hujcqv1.jpg

HydraSpectrum2_zps0bnvmqhq.jpg

Awesome thank you for the replies. Ive been getting pretty good growth running them on the setting like I have it. I just wish the colors would pop more. I think Im going to leave them alone and quit messing with them.

If you want the colors to "pop more", set the colors you want to emphasize at a greater level relative to the other colors. This can take some playing around. Often in reef systems people seem to like the blues. Note how some tanks seem to use almost all blue light, so you'd turn up the blues or turn down the other colors.

Keep in mind that changing the lighting can have other side effects, such as algae growth. This is why I sometime keep the red and green dialed down. Yet you might want more red and green to get the colors better.

I tried to setup AI module similar to a ATI Blue Plus as far as wavelengths go. The Blue Plus has been a go to T5 bulb for a reason as it appears to have best all around growth plus color. It took a little fiddling but the HD you can overpower the blues and purple bulbs to get that profile.