• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

AI SOL vs Ecotch Radion vs Vertex Illumina PAR Readings

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
10 to 1 odds

I'm almost willing to bet that the reason the fan is on the bottom of the Radion (IMO... THE absolute worst place you could put a cooling fan that will be over a saltwater fish tank), is that AI hold the patent for a multi-diode dual-lamp fixture with a fan on top of the heat sink (where the fan should be) in the form of the AI Nano and possibly to some extent the "phoenix".

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That's probably the case Brian. It wouldn't suprise me at all because I can't see any other reason why the Engineer's at EcoTech would intentionally put the fan on the bottom. Even if it's intended to be 12" (or whatever "safe" distance) above the water... it's still a better idea to put the fan on the top. Think about people who put the Radions in a canopy... the fan would be forcing warmer air onto the heatsink than it would if it was able to suck in from an opening in the top of the canopy. Just not as efficient as it could be with just a simple change of fan attachment.

I still don't think it's that big of a deal for the most part. But you have to agree that logically it just doesn't make sense to put it on the bottom.

howze01

NJRC Member
I didn't know that it ran all the time. I guess that's a testament to how quiet they are. Why would they be running all the time? The lights aren't on.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Kevin, I don't know why, but whenever I see your avatar it makes me think all of your posts are jokes. I'm sure some of them are meant to be serious, but that avatar tricks my brain, lol. :)

I'm almost willing to bet that the reason the fan is on the bottom of the Radion (IMO... THE absolute worst place you could put a cooling fan that will be over a saltwater fish tank), is that AI hold the patent for a multi-diode dual-lamp fixture with a fan on top of the heat sink (where the fan should be) in the form of the AI Nano and possibly to some extent the "phoenix".

If the fan were on top? Not a huge difference IMO. It's all humid all the time over the tank, no matter where the fan is, if humidity is the concern. It was an initial concern of mine, until I thought of it in some depth. There probably is some difference, but not a significant one I'd imagine.

The ease of controlability, ability to share lighting profiles, infinite spectrum differentiation offered by the software, and participation with my mp 40's are what sold me on them. Also I would have needed 4 sols to get the same coverage I get with 2 radions.

The Sol are awesome, and what I was originally going to go for. The radions only edged them out on a couple of features. Both are awesome fixtures. To throw another dog in the fight-FWIW, I got a TON of growth out of my knockoff-fixtures from feng too. Of course they were louder than jet engines when running lol. I think we have all learned at the very least that LEDs are the way to go, no matter who makes them.