• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

AIO Build ?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I picked up the 29/30 gallon tank last night for the nem and clown fish. Was considering an AIO build like the one below but would be on the short end 12" not to lose depth.
AIO DIY

Or

Should I pickup something like this instead?
Internal Filter

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I've been making my own AIO's for a couple of years- each one I make improvements, I'm very happy with my current setup for my 75g- materials are inexpensive and I have 2 in it- one at each end- I have a 29g gal with one in it that's sitting empty right now ( free including stand and hood if you want it)- I suggest that the chambers be at least 4" wide so you can get your hand/arm in- I went from 3 chambers to 5- the second and fourth are small just to direct the flow up- I also put shelves made from eggcrate in the larger chambers- I might have posted some pics in my build thread

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I've been making my own AIO's for a couple of years- each one I make improvements, I'm very happy with my current setup for my 75g- materials are inexpensive and I have 2 in it- one at each end- I have a 29g gal with one in it that's sitting empty right now ( free including stand and hood if you want it)- I suggest that the chambers be at least 4" wide so you can get your hand/arm in- I went from 3 chambers to 5- the second and fourth are small just to direct the flow up- I also put shelves made from eggcrate in the larger chambers- I might have posted some pics in my build thread
I was thinking 2 inches to have more tank space.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Not a good idea, learned from experience. Like I said you're welcome to my 29g with one in it ( the tank is also drilled ) silicone is easy to rip off glass, unless of course you plan on having the filter in the back- I wouldn't though on a narrow tank

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Not a good idea, learned from experience. Like I said you're welcome to my 29g with one in it ( the tank is also drilled ) silicone is easy to rip off glass, unless of course you plan on having the filter in the back- I wouldn't though on a narrow tank
not on the back longs ide, waste to much space. Why I was looking at the 12" side glass panel. I want to keep as much length as possible.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
That's where I put mine, on the end, also think about the filtration, 2 inches doesn't give you a lot- you'll regret it- 4" minimum for me, and my hands aren't that big ( my feet are though:) ) My 13g Fluval AIO is more than 2", and I added a hob to it. Most return pumps would barely fit in a 2" wide space too. I would use a 450g or so pump so another reason to go wider, more room for mechanical and bio filtration and mine has room for chaeto or a hob skimmer

Last edited:

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
That's where I put mine, on the end, also think about the filtration, 2 inches doesn't give you a lot- you'll regret it- 4" minimum for me, and my hands aren't that big ( my feet are though:) ) My 13g Fluval AIO is more than 2", and I added a hob to it
thx, will have to decide now what I want to do. BTW my nose is big.