• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Albie's new RSM250

A little back ground leading up to this: 4 months ago i became a dad again , and then as usual the tanks became slightly neglected..had some red slime and bubble algea develop because of a lack on maintenence which is all my fault due to fatherly duties(no pun intended). well i battled to get rid of most of it and was starting to see good results and then we went on vacation down south for 2 weeks to show off the baby to family.
while we were away the lights on my display tank crapped out and when i came back the tank was a disaster
only the leathers and a few zoo have survived ....i lost all the sps and lps that i had grown from small frags...boy was i depressed.....then i heard something from my wife i thought i would never hear "nows a good time to buy the new tank you have been talking about for months, why dont you go get it tomorrow."
so i did....
765_20_09_09_10_09_16.jpg

765_13_09_09_12_04_18.JPG

after the sand storm settled
765_20_09_09_10_17_34_0.JPG

day 6 added the rest of the old rock
765_20_09_09_10_17_35_2.JPG

and on day 7 after it cleared
765_20_09_09_10_17_35_4.JPG

james, we will see how it's doing after another week....i am expexting at minimum a small cycle since i used the old rock and 10 gal of old water to help add the good bacteria.
i tested the water and found all zeros for amonia,nitrite,and nitrate
calcium was 420, alk 10dkh and ph 8.2
so if all is good on friday morning i might be looking for something in A.C. ;)

congratulations on being a father again!

I wish my wife gave me a RSM250 when I had kids...lol. ;)

see you in AC!

well as always good news is followed by some bad....
the good news is that the corals i saved are doing great and i have seen more and more polyps opening in the last few days.......bad news is i have a hair algea problem again.....uggggghhh!!!!

i suspect it is from the addition of my old rock and the increase in light intensity.
some times this hobby can drive you to drink.....
wish me luck............al

Looks nice. Needs more rock though. What would be cool is if you built a Center Pillar and drilled your rocks. Then you could build vertically leave the back area open for fishies and depending on what kinds of rocks you use have lots of overhangs and nooks and crannies to put stuff!

here is a little update.....
frags i got at oct. meeting are all doing great and have started to encrust the plugs already, will post pics later.

i have been battling a little hair algea since i started the tank ( im guessing new tank syndrome)
so i bought 3 mexican turbos and a bunch of hermits @ reef to reptiles a few weeks ago and they have cleaned all the rocks and i even have some coraline starting to show up, but the hair is still covering the back wall of the tank and i am getting film algea on the glass almost every day.

new marco rocks are done cycleing and i will add them some time this week or next to help increase the bio filter in hopes of eliminating the algea. I have tried everything i could think of to clear up the mess on the back wall ,with not much luck...then i was told to try brightwells Microbacter7 and bioavailable carbon....so longstory short i started them yesterday and we will see if it does the trick.

ps: i will try to post pics tomorrow (got to get the camera back from my son the photographer)

MB7 is a great product. Be careful with it. It can bring your nutrient down fast. I use it with Biofuel to clear up the water. I have not heard of Bioavailable carbon. What does it do?

looks like your off to a great start with the new tank. i'm running the same system. have you made any modifications? ive been runnninf mine stock for about 7 months now and everythings great. i may look into a better skimmer. good luck with it.

monthly update: i just added the Marco rock i picked up at macna ......still not completely happy with the rockscape and I'm gonna add some more to the center section and to fill in some of the empty spots.
what do you think?

765_05_12_09_9_49_25_0.jpg

765_05_12_09_9_49_25_1.jpg

and a few new corals

765_05_12_09_9_49_25_2.jpg

765_05_12_09_9_49_25_3.jpg

765_05_12_09_9_49_26_4.jpg