• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Algae Blenny Kicked the Bucket

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Howdy,

So in my frag tank I had a six line wrasse & a algae blenny. The six line had died & against my better judgement bought a new one and dumped him right in. He died in two days due to a serious sore that wasn't visible at first... I didn't replace him due to being upset and now my algae blenny just passed. I don't know if he didn't have enough food & or he had parasites. When I removed him from the tank what seemed to be thousands of little bugs were crawling over him... Do i have a parasite in my water column? Should I let my tank fallow? Can I dose nitrates for corals in lieu of a fish for now?

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Could be parasites or just maybe pods.

The algae blenny may have starved as they have a big appetite for algae. Were you feeding the blenny lettuce as a supplement?

The wrasse I'm not sure of, maybe @Humblefish can chime in

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Could be parasites or just maybe pods.

The algae blenny may have starved as they have a big appetite for algae. Were you feeding the blenny lettuce as a supplement?

The wrasse I'm not sure of, maybe @Humblefish can chime in
It was not pods and I was feeding nori - the wrasse I know was a bad sore probably from parasite ? Idk but I think I'll go fallow and dose nitrates for a month ?

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Yikes that's a long time.. if I start tomorrow after my cherry corals come I'll be done by may 25th.

Why do you restart with introduction of corals ?

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Algae blenny are not a good fish for a frag tank.

they like rocks lots and lots of rocks with algae. They like sand as well.

I had one in a 125 gallon tank full of rocks.

he/she probably starved to death

Last edited:
Bc anything you put in the tank, a coral, a snail a fish can carry in a parasite.. and I guess 76 days is the magic number that they all should starve out by then.. I'm not 100 sure as I've never done it, I'm not a big qt person either. I treat when something is sick. But I've read enough to know the time frame. I honestly think what you saw was pods scavenging on the dead fish. And dont think you need to go fallow.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Bc anything you put in the tank, a coral, a snail a fish can carry in a parasite.. and I guess 76 days is the magic number that they all should starve out by then.. I'm not 100 sure as I've never done it, I'm not a big qt person either. I treat when something is sick. But I've read enough to know the time frame. I honestly think what you saw was pods scavenging on the dead fish. And dont think you need to go fallow.

I just don't know where the pods would have came from ?

I need to do some more research on pods vs parasites

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Any frag you may have purchased could have had some on it. From there as long as they aren't eaten, they'll just multiply.

If you spot them in your tank, post a pic so we can see.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Any frag you may have purchased could have had some on it. From there as long as they aren't eaten, they'll just multiply.

If you spot them in your tank, post a pic so we can see.
I dip my frags in Bayer - shouldn't that kill any ?