• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Algae problem

Ok I have a situation with hair algae and now cyanobacteria in my corals not in the sand bed I made a 40% water change I think my sand bed is the responsible of it any suggestion what can I do or what kind of goby should I get

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Sand sifter goby, maybe combine with a pistol shrimp (keeping in mind it will dig the Marianas trench daily).
Nassarius ('zombie') snails are excellent as well.
Avoid the sand sifting stars as they will eat out the food supply and starve.
Also, remember the cyano is self limiting and will correct in time, but having a CuC is still a good idea to keep sand agitated.
If really bad, theres always the Chemiclean option (I've used this a number of times with no ill effects on coral, fish , or anything else outside the cyano).

Sand sifter goby, maybe combine with a pistol shrimp (keeping in mind it will dig the Marianas trench daily).
Nassarius ('zombie') snails are excellent as well.
Avoid the sand sifting stars as they will eat out the food supply and starve.
Also, remember the cyano is self limiting and will correct in time, but having a CuC is still a good idea to keep sand agitated.
If really bad, theres always the Chemiclean option (I've used this a number of times with no ill effects on coral, fish , or anything else outside the cyano).
Tanks

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

What are your phosphate and nitrate levels for the cyanobacteria you could try increasing the flow. I have used vibrant in the past with good results.

People like to put algea problems in the titles of these forums when the real title should be excess nutrient problems. Algea is a simple fix 3 things are needed for algea the seed algea nutrients and light remove 1 of the 3 and you remove the algea. You can't remove the light unless its sunlight shineing on your tank.. And you can't get rid of seed algea its dug in to everything in our tanks but you can fix the exceas nutrients by doing a water changes and feeding less, even cutting back on doseing. A quick point on doseing yes its needed but at the point were algea is forming it means that the coral is not consuming the excess elements fast enough so your doseing to much try doseing half what you normally would

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Have you been dosing bacteria and a carbon source?
How are your parameter?
Do you have a skimmer?
Where the rocks cleaned before curing?
Algae Turf Scrubber (ATS). Best thing you could ever do for your tank.
How much are you feeding? That means there is a lot phosphates in the water. Are you running GFO. If not, I recommend running GFO at the dosage that is recommended.

Sea slugs will clear up the hair algae quickly.

Last edited: