• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Algae problems but PO4 is .03?

I've had some cyano, hair algae, then brown strings with bubbles, and my glass needs to be cleaned daily. It's much better than it was 3 weeks ago (reduced feeding and lighting) but I decided to take control of it and add a gfo/carbon reactor. I checked just now and my new Hanna meter says .03. Should I assume the po4 is locked up in the algae? I'll set up the reactor once I get the one I ordered but I expected to have high readings given the algae growth but the meter reading surprised me.

yeah the algae is absorbing the po4 that is why your readings are lower than expected. Try to get some GFO in that bish. And find the source of the problem lol (Overfeeding, not blasting rocks, etc).

yeah the algae is absorbing the po4 that is why your readings are lower than expected. Try to get some GFO in that bish. And find the source of the problem lol (Overfeeding, not blasting rocks, etc).

Blasting rocks? I think I've done that with my feeding thing once or twice but is that something I should do regularly.

Blow it with a turkey baster or a powerhead (that's what I do) and it knocks all the fish poop and other crap. Youll be amazed how much stuff can come out.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Blasting rocks? I think I've done that with my feeding thing once or twice but is that something I should do regularly.

Yes, add this to your maintenance schedule, and do it right before a water change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, add this to your maintenance schedule, and do it right before a water change.

Just to add to this. I don't know if the OP normally runs filter socks but I put a sock on my drain pipe before blasting my rocks before every WC in an attempt to catch the detritus.

I do run a filter sock, yes. This one of those forehead smacking moments, I should have been doing this all along. I'll do it before my weekly water changes (I do 5 gallons a week with water from Feng's shop).

Well....funny you should say that. I buy my saltwater and ro/di from Feng. I just tested my saltwater, I bought it last week, and it came up with a p04 reading of 1.72!!!! Can that be right?? Is it because it sat in a bottle for a few days. That makes no sense....

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
I suggest buying your own RODI and mixing your own salt. Not to say Feng is selling water with such high phosphate it's just easier to be in control of what enters your tank if you make it yourself. It probably is from you container, what do you use to store your water?
Some containers could leach phosphate.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Nothing beats having your own RO/DI. I tried the store bought water route when I first started and it was just too much of a pain lugging the water around. Plus I get the added benefit of filtered water for drinking.

Feng gave me some Poland spring bottles (for free) because my buckets were leaking all over my car. I don't really have room to mix my own water or run a ro/di system. fengs display tank is amazing so I'd be surprised if the water he sells isn't right.

Heres an option. Go to Walmart and buy the distilled water. Sold by the gallon and has a purple cap. 88 cents. I have used this in a sps reef and I didnt have a speck of algae. This is while running gfo and weekly water changes of course. It's good stuff though, just very inconvient to buy and lug around.

Rodi is your best bet above all though and cheapest

Sent from my galaxy s4

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Heres an option. Go to Walmart and buy the distilled water. Sold by the gallon and has a purple cap. 88 cents. I have used this in a sps reef and I didnt have a speck of algae. This is while running gfo and weekly water changes of course. It's good stuff though, just very inconvient to buy and lug around.

Rodi is your best bet above all though and cheapest

Sent from my galaxy s4

There is also a Walmart water that is RO water. You have to watch with the distilled water it may have traces of copper from the distillation process at least that's what I've been told.

Bob

There is also a Walmart water that is RO water. You have to watch with the distilled water it may have traces of copper from the distillation process at least that's what I've been told.

Bob

I had no ill effects. Starfish, shrimps sps etc. But thats my experience. I never saw RO though. Is it by the gal.?

Sent from my galaxy s4

Feng gave me some Poland spring bottles (for free) because my buckets were leaking all over my car. I don't really have room to mix my own water or run a ro/di system. fengs display tank is amazing so I'd be surprised if the water he sells isn't right.

didn't you just state that the water had very high readings of phosphate?

Yeah that's why I'm shocked and thought maybe because I stored the water for a week it could have come from the bottle.

If, as it seems, his water really is that high in p04 I certainly won't buy any more I just don't know if those readings could even make sense, inexperience on my part.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You should test it as soon as you get home.

You can come buy water from me. LoL

I always have 30 gallons of both RO and Saltwater on hand at all times. :D

Yeah that's why I'm shocked and thought maybe because I stored the water for a week it could have come from the bottle.

If, as it seems, his water really is that high in p04 I certainly won't buy any more I just don't know if those readings could even make sense, inexperience on my part.

his display tank alone is a solid 800 gallons so i'm sure his tank can handle a higher phosphate reading than yours. there are plenty rodi units that attach directly to your sink. i store my unit in a cabinet.