• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Algae Reactor using a breeder box

Rueric

NJRC Member
Hello,

I am considering turning my breeder box into a DIY Algae Reactor..
I'm looking to grow Dragons Breath specifically as I can't keep that in the tank without my urchin is eating it up.

https://www.amazon .com/ISTA-IF-648-Hang-Separation-Breeder/dp/B07F12T5VP/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=ISTA+IF-648+Hang-On+Separation+Breeder+Box%2Cclear&qid=1636157615&sr=8-2

The above link is what I currently have..
I have a small pump which I've subbed out the need for the need of an air pump for flow.

Now.. It's hanging on the side of my tank which has been running great, but I'm thinking the light bleed from my AI Prime 16 HDs are not enough..
I'm looking to add a designated light for it..

I'm thinking of two options so far..

- An Acke LED grow light: https://www.amazon .com/ACKE-Lights-Spectrum-Lights%EF%BC%8CGrowing-Hydropoincs/dp/B01LX1EO3W/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=acke+grow+light&qid=1636157646&sr=8-5

- An LED strip..

I think both approaches would work but the Acke LED grow light might be tricky to have it attached/suspended to the box.
I'd prefer the LED strip approach.

The problem is, what would be a good LED strip to use and how big is the concern for the LED strip heating up the box causing cracks?
I've heard stories of people having issues regarding cracks from other media reactors.. would I have similar issues if I have the LED strips wrapping the box?
I do plan to wrap the strip with tin foil or something to hide the excess light from bleeding out.

Any ideas or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I gave that breeder box and tried what you're doing. I ran into two problems:

1- it was to small if a five for my 90g so it didn't really help.
2- cheating grew but pushed lid up and water would over spill. I tilted it towards the tank to help prevent it.

Good luck.

Rueric

NJRC Member
Glad to know I'm not the crazy one!
I have a 32g so I think this breeder box might be just right for the size.. Specifically I have a Fluval Flex 32g with no sump.

What lighting did you use?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I used some cheap led light with blue n white lights. Let me try to find AMZ link.