• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Algae scrubber

I added an algae scrubber from Santa Monica filtration. It's been running for a little over 2 weeks. It went through a brown slime phase, and is now growing green algae. I don't know weather to attribute this to the scubber or not, but my tank has improved. Glass Is staying cleaner, coral looks really nice. It realy hasn't been in the tank long enough to expect a result, but I don't know what else to attribute it too. Maybe it's my imagination. I have also subdued my DT lighting. As far as live stock, I added a peppermint shrimp. It ate all the aptaisia. I didn't see it eat any, but there all gone. They weren't too out of control, but I'm Glad there gone, and the shrimp is a nice addition.

Running a scrubber as well with a DC protein skimmer I can dial up or down as needed. I am still in the brown algae phase, but green hair algae is slowly starting to grow. My tank is very new so I am not surprised that my screen is taking longer to mature.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

That's great. These scrubbers are catching on. Do you recomend rinsing in public tap water? Will the clorinated water slow the grow back? Would you think I should rinse in RO or even some tank water?

It's very good. I would not consider running a system without one. It's also not too expensive compared to skimmers and reactors, and I'm my opinion far more effective. It takes up almost no space. Theres a bunch of other benifits to it. Opposite lighting schedule stabilizes ph swings. Grows lots of pods. I could go on and on. Really no negative side effects.

I think I have found the sweet spot with my scrubber 14hrs on about 60% intensity, cleaning every two weeks. I had ramped it up to 16hrs and close to 100% intensity. it grew a ton of algae on the screen but looking back that was when my two original montipora frags started to decline. Too much of a good thing. My scrubber in combination with my skimmer (DC) has worked well in keeping my nitrates and phosphates extremely low.

Algae Scrubber users unite!

Algae scrubber screen after two weeks. Tested water Week 1: Phosphates 0.00, Nitrates ~1ppm, Week 2: Phosphates 0.02, Nitrates ~1ppm

IMG_20170721_195654536.jpg

I will turn up the intensity a small amount to see if there is a reduction in the phosphates next week.

Algae Scrubber users unite!