• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Algae/Sponge?

I just noticed this patch of odd algae or sponge. Its dark green in color but feels spongey. Ive never seen it before.

20130801_171510.jpg

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It's hard to tell from your picture, but I'd put my money on an algae. Look up pictures of Halimeda...that would be my first guess.

I know it look reflective in some spots from the pic but those are just sand partcles and such. This does not have any type of reflective surface. Its branching but no bulbs on the ends. Seems to be the same diameter within all the branching.

So it's been about 4 months and this is what it's turned into. The only other piece of it that I can find is right next to it in the upper left of the mass. It's now the size of baseball (A tiny bit bigger). If you guys are right about the ID, it grows extremely slow. Think I could transfer this to the sump? The ball is only connected one little spot and can be easily removed.
vgt0d2.jpg

So it's been about 4 months and this is what it's turned into. The only other piece of it that I can find is right next to it in the upper left of the mass. It's now the size of baseball (A tiny bit bigger). If you guys are right about the ID, it grows extremely slow. Think I could transfer this to the sump? The ball is only connected one little spot and can be easily removed.
vgt0d2.jpg

I'm sure you could just transfer it. I agree with the others that it is codium Just break it off at the connection and put it on a piece of rock in the sump to reattach to. It will probably grow back in the DT again as well.

It seems pretty stable. That little piece in the upper left is the only other one I can find in the whole tank over this time frame. Not much of a spreader. I wonder how it would do in a slow tumble in the sump like chaeto. I does look pretty cool swaying back and forth with my softies and LPS when my WP-25 is in wave mode.