• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Algae trough

Paul B

NJRC Member
Ohhhh!! thanks Mike . But does that even work ?? Aren't ocean waters way too polluted for a caged environment? However the prospect of live microbe import is mouth watering .

You should be wondering if artificial sea water works. NSW is like it says, natural, I like to call it real. The seas in the US are not as polluted as they used to be thanks to many new laws about dumping, sewage treatment and bilge emptying.
I do not use 100% NSW only because it is heavy. I live near the sea but it is still heavy when I have to lift it to get it in the car and carry it downstairs to the tank. If I had a pipeline to the sea I would never use fake water.
All of your animals came from NSW, none of them came from ASW

i must say u might be me the inventor of a new product if only the whole production and selling part wasnt so difficult

Paul B

NJRC Member
that article was actually very helpful cuz i was thinking about buying one of those exact nudibranchs

Ok but they are not nudibranchs. Nudibranchs are carniverous and slugs are herbifores.
Nudibranches have external gills that look like feathers and slugs absorb oxygen through their skin. Two different animals.
Elisia Crispata are slugs. Wierd animals also

so, should i just leave the nuisance algae growing my fuge? i been removing thick slimy red stuff from my fuge once a week. i have some cyano in my DT, and some brown algae that seems to taking over my tank. almost like diatoms, except thicker. i dont know. sick of algae.

Paul B

NJRC Member
The thick slimy stuff in your fuge is probably cyano but I can't see it from here.
That stuff is hard to eliminate and can stick around for months.
Sounds like you have a severe problem and needs severe control methods.
Your tank obviousely has too much organic matter in it either from too many animals or feeding too much. If you already tried all of the "cures" you need to clean out as much of that stuff as you can by hand then I would use some "Chemi Clean"
Nor "Red Slime Remover".
I also don't like using chemicals but I personally have used this stuff many times and never found any negative effects. It will remove all of that red stuff in a couple of days but then you really need toclean it out because it will still be in there, only dead.
After the treatment you will need to change most of the water, clean up everything up with either a diatom filter or a canister, run carbon for a week or so then feed much less.
It is almost always food that causes these problems. Algae and cyano can't grow without nutrients and you have an abundance of it. Fish can live with very little food. I use one cube of mysis and I have over 20 fish. I also onlyfeed 5 times a week and I target feed everything. I would never just put food in the tank where it may get lost.
Good luck.
PS, now you will hear all of the negative things about "Chemi Clean" because it is a chemical. (Like ASW and everything else we throw in there.)

Paul B

NJRC Member
To update the algae trough, it is now full of hair algae looking stuff and is practically clogged. I need to clean out some of it so it does not overflow.
There is not a bit of this sticky looking algae growing in my reef so I am happy that the thing is doing it's job so well.
I want the benefits of the algae in my water because algae is one of the best water purification plants but I would rather not see too much of it in my reef.

I don't remember when I installed this thing but it has been a few years.