• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

algae

Brand new reefer here.. 29 g.

So my friend gave me his tank with everything which includes some frags. But the live rock had ridiculous algae on it so my research pointed me in the direction of isolating it in a tub (in my case a large rubbermaid cooler). I added an aquaclear powerhead and a heater. I was told to keep the rock in there for about 6 weeks and the lack of light should kill off ALL the algae, and it will be nice and clean to put back in the nano. Is this going to work? I will be changing all the water (drainage tube at the bottom of rubbermaid) every week and refilling with salt ro/di.

What do you think?

john90009

NJRC Member
hah yeah hopefully its not some algeas that can be very bad. The no light trick should work- hopefully someone else would chime in but i wonder if you put a clean up crew of just guys that eat some of the hair algae if it would help. Hopefully someone else chimes in- i never had a algae problem that was so bad i had to put them in a Rubbermaid tub- a cleanup crew and tangs help my tank alot. The red slime algae can come from the lights being to old which could also be cause the other algae so its good that your planing on getting new lights.