• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Algea control

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
In our 20g, probably 30 pounds give or take. We never weighed it. The old rule of thumb was a pound per gallon but at live rock got better and more porous the surface area increased allowing for less poundage.

mnat said:
In our 20g, probably 30 pounds give or take. We never weighed it. The old rule of thumb was a pound per gallon but at live rock got better and more porous the surface area increased allowing for less poundage.

Mike (mnat) might not have been very clear, he is referrring to the 20G tank in the "Her 20" thread.
The amount of live rock is a bit fluid at the moment. . . I learned this year that if you have a zoas in a nano THEY WILL TAKE OVER THE LIVE ROCK. So, the pieces of live rock that were completely covered with zoa colonies are in the process of being rotated out and replaced. We have about 20lbs of live sand in the tank. The refugium has about 7 lbs of live sand and about 2 lbs of live rock rubble as well.

NikkiT said:
Mike (mnat) might not have been very clear, he is referrring to the 20G tank in the "Her 20" thread.

How was that dwarf angle? I was looking at your pictures in that thread and was meaning to ask. I had a bad experience with a Coral Beauty, even though it ate a lot of the algae in the tank.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We had a coral beauty and promptly got rid of it, it was an aggressive little bugger. We have also had a pygmy angel which was a great little angel that met its demise on a powerhead. The flameback in the 20g has been good, but they are known to be a bit more aggressive and he does rule the 20g. The flame angel in the 30g is not as aggressive but he rules the 30g as well. If you want to add an angel plan for it. What other fish do you have/want to put in the tank? What corals do you want to add? Angels can be about 50/50 with nipping at soft corals and LPS. For the first time yesterday I actually saw the flame nip a zoo, I don't know if he was trying to eat it or just picking at it but that was interesting. The pygmy angel doesn't have as nice color as the other two, but if I had to restock the 20g I would go with one of them.

Daggnabit said:
I currently have a clown and yellow watchman goby. When I had the coral beauty the clown was the one doing all the chasing.

Depends on the fish. I had a pair of VERY NASTY clowns a for several years, they dominated every fish I put into the tank with them.