• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Alkalinity Help

Can anyone near me let me borrow their Alkalinity test kit. My Salifert keeps showing a rise in my Alkalinity day after day. I have tried to adjust my CA reactor to lower the alk, but after 24 hours of making a change to the reactor, the Alk goes up. To lower the Alk according to the MRC instructions, you either increase the effluent flow from the reactor or decrease the CO2. So, if you have a "non Salifert" kit that I can use once I'd appreciate it. I'm in Middlesex (08846).

Thanks,
Mike

i am bringing my new YSI Photometer to the meeting in hopes to trade a test for a frag. since you sound desperate, free for you. This is an $800 toy that reads parameters of different sorts utilizing a reagent. I have reagents for alkalinity, calcium, phosphate low range, and pH among the 40 available. This meter gives a definitive reading. I suggest you get your water and get the exact reading from this meter, then test it with your salifert test kit and see how far off it is. From there on in, you can utilize the salifert test, just subtract or add the difference it is off by. hunt me down at the meeting, OK?

I don't want to bust your bubble Renee BUT you have to be very carefull with most photometers when using them on marine tanks. I have no experience with your meter but in general they aren't to useful on SW.

For the most part the $1Kish meters don't work to well for SW. They are really designed with FW in mind and not SW. Many test get interference using SW and unless you calibrate the photometer with standard SW solutions and create the slopes and whatnot the readings will be off (sometimes by a lot). Getting or creating these solutions is an exercise in itself!

If anyone has followed the AquariumWaterTesting.com testing threads on RC you'll see they are going through these types of issues and many of their reported results aren't worth anything.

I wish Boomer was still around here as he could chime in. He's THE MAN on knowing what the photometers are OK with and what you need to watch out for on each test.

Unless you read that the particular test is valid for SW with your photometer I'd assume it isn't. It would be a good idea to get in touch with the manufacturer and see if they have downloadable programs already done for SW tests or if they have solutions you can use yourself if/when needed.

Carlo

Carlo said:
I don't want to bust your bubble Renee BUT you have to be very carefull with most photometers when using them on marine tanks. I have no experience with your meter but in general they aren't to useful on SW.

For the most part the $1Kish meters don't work to well for SW. They are really designed with FW in mind and not SW. Many test get interference using SW and unless you calibrate the photometer with standard SW solutions and create the slopes and whatnot the readings will be off (sometimes by a lot). Getting or creating these solutions is an exercise in itself!

If anyone has followed the AquariumWaterTesting.com testing threads on RC you'll see they are going through these types of issues and many of their reported results aren't worth anything.

I wish Boomer was still around here as he could chime in. He's THE MAN on knowing what the photometers are OK with and what you need to watch out for on each test.

Unless you read that the particular test is valid for SW with your photometer I'd assume it isn't. It would be a good idea to get in touch with the manufacturer and see if they have downloadable programs already done for SW tests or if they have solutions you can use yourself if/when needed.

Carlo
this one is designed for salt water. it is calibrated with the actual tank water first each time. this meter just came out, it is recommended by aquatic eco systems for reef applications. some tests were not for salt water, like their magnesium reagent. some reagents are only for salt water.

Yea, the photometer is in their new catalog. Not on their website, it is too new. It is the YSI 9300. I am bummed that their magnesium reagent is for freshwater only. I called them, they recommend this meter for reefs like we have. It has been really accurate testing against my elos and api and lamotte tests.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
I'll bring you a few frags of zoas you don't have if you test my water with that thing.

reneeRN said:
i am bringing my new YSI Photometer to the meeting in hopes to trade a test for a frag. since you sound desperate, free for you. This is an $800 toy that reads parameters of different sorts utilizing a reagent. I have reagents for alkalinity, calcium, phosphate low range, and pH among the 40 available. This meter gives a definitive reading. I suggest you get your water and get the exact reading from this meter, then test it with your salifert test kit and see how far off it is. From there on in, you can utilize the salifert test, just subtract or add the difference it is off by. hunt me down at the meeting, OK?