• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

All for Reef

Some one educate me. Are all those elements used in a contestant balance? Meaning if I used 2 percent of my available calcium did I also use 2 percent of all those other elements in there “balanced “ proposition? I ask because where as that’s very interesting. I can’t test for most of those items so unless they are consumed proportionately (and maybe they are). Then I would risk overtime... knocking things out of balance. And I wouldn’t know. But if it is consumed in equal proportions than sounds like I should be using it. Anyone know the science behind element consumption. Please chime in.

Using there calculator. And dosage recommendations. It would cost me just under $4,000 a year to dose that stuff. There instructions are based on 26 gallons of system water. I have 400 gallons. I would need 1000 ml. Every 3 days hopefully I made a math error hahaha

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
i use the same product but from red sea. the red sea product is for smaller tanks but it works the same
you dose everything with one scoop of ABC+ NOT for large tanks 50 gallon or less. i use it on a separate frag tank that less than 50 gallon

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I think the question is dosage based on total water volume or just the dialysis where coral is?
I would think display as your sump doesn't consume these elements; maybe if you have a fuge some night get absorbed.
Based on DT I would have to purchase roughly every 3 months. If total volume every 1.5 months.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
So I use Red Sea pro as my salt so my alk is around 9-8 this keeps it there. It all depends on what number you are happy with and what is consuming alk. This doses an even amount of alk/cal/mag plus some elements. i use one scoop twice a week for 50 gallon frag tank.

Red Sea Fish Pharm ARE22007 Reef Foundation Salt Water Conditioners for Aquarium, 1kg https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004E2FBRC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Ye4nDbKC3XPT3

Last edited:

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Alk everything else doesn’t really matter.
If you use the right salt your magnesium shouldn’t change much. Calcium if you over dose nothing happens. Alk does matter you keep your alk at 8-9 and you should be fine.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
So I use Red Sea pro as my salt so my alk is around 9-8 this keeps it there. It all depends on what number you are happy with and what is consuming alk. This doses an even amount of alk/cal/mag plus some elements. i use one scoop twice a week for 50 gallon frag tank.

Red Sea Fish Pharm ARE22007 Reef Foundation Salt Water Conditioners for Aquarium, 1kg https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004E2FBRC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Ye4nDbKC3XPT3

I saw this too and was wondering about it.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
If your lazy like me and have to do manual WC you really don't do many.
I was looking for supplements to add in between WC.
Yes, I need to start a regime and thinking 5g or 10g monthly. Not much but better than none.

My experience with fresh water Was, for the first couple of years... Water changes fixed all sorts of problems. But as the tank matured they became less necessary. But I’m sure they don’t hurt. And may help in ways that I wasn’t even aware was a problem.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Matt, I agree FW I never really chnaged the water just topped off. If a major problem then yes a large water change.
For SW I was told WC help replace trace elements and why we should them. Other sites have people that never do a WC and just dose.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
It depends what kind of Fresh water fish you have. I had discus and I would change water every two days lol

I use All for Reef on my Red Sea Reefer 250. My tank is mainly SPS and I can say that is way easier to just does one product but I am using about 33ml a day to keep my alk between 8 and 8.5 so it costs me about $30 month to use. It did take a couple of weeks from my tank to get used to the new dosing but otherwise it has been good. I also have seen a small increase in cyano if i'm late on my water changes and I think that is because the tank was lacking in the some elements that the all for reef has in it. Before I switched I was Bionic.