• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

All Heaters Suck!

HerbieK

NJRC Honorary Member
NJRC Member
I just had a titanium heater failure. This is my third. The other day I was hand feeding my emperor angel and thought to myself, gee this water seems cool. Looking at my controller, I saw my temp was 72!

Luckily, I had bought a 300 W Petsmart backup heater during that cold snap we had last week. I also took my other 300 watt titanium heater I use for my water change barrel.

Thinking it might be my heater/chiller controller, I checked it out, and the heater outlet was working, so, another bad heater.

My question is, whether there is any reliable heater,

I figured titanium and a controller should be fairly bullet proof. The heater tube(s) sit in my sump, so what could go wrong? Well, considering my luck w/ various titanium heaters, apparently, plenty.

I have tried all brands of glass tube and titanium and none last. I can't even have a glass tube heater last more than a year in my water change barrel!

Does anyone make a reliable heater, or do I just need to keep a half dozen backups handy?

Herb

I just bought a Won Brothers Titanium 500watt HT heater to go with my Apex. I've been through 3 JB titanium heaters, a finnex titanium heater and none lasted very long.

I had an old Won brothers with a temp controller and used it as a back up and the heating element never failed but ultimately the temp controller failed.

I'll see if I have good luck with this brand.

I like running two heaters via the Apex. If main fails, back up kicks in for protecting against low temps and Apex turns off, if it fails on, ,to protect from high temps. Also a Jagers fan. Have two new backs ups on hand. We spend hundreds on back up generators, what is $50 in extra heaters....

Heaters....can't live with them, can't live without them. Fortunately, I've never had any major issues with one. I've always used a Pinpoint controller with them(not trusting the built in thermostats), and would replace them every two years or so, moving the older one into my WC Brute can(where they took a fairly good beating). I also like the Jager heaters, but they have some limitations. As Paul mentioned they are long, and top out at 300W. I wanted to go to a higher wattage, and needed a shorter unit, so I went with the Hydor Theo for a couple reasons. First was the shatter proof glass(keeping fingers crossed), secondly I could go to 400W, and it was 4" shorter than the 300W Jager I tried, which became my QT heater.