• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Almost Emergency!

I have a 175g bow and the support brackets are cracked, one is off by about 3/4" and the other is ready to pop, right now I am using woodworking clamps to hold it together but I would imagine if they both pop it is not going to be good.

So what can I do, I keep looking for tanks online that I can afford and it's not really working out, anyone have any ideas? I am open to just about anything because I have it at work and my boss is looking for anything to give me a hard time.

The bow is the tricky part or else I would make a stainless cross support. So any help is welcome.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I would keep looking for a new tank or try finding who the manufacturer of the tank is and see if you can order a new top brace.

Okay so they no longer make them, and they told me to measure make a cardboard template and have a glass cutter make a support for it... not sure how that will work out but it's worth a shot. If anyone has ever done something like that let me know, I welcome any help. :p

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Are they saying euro bracing? For a bow front, that's got to be very costly.

Could you take a picture of what you're talking about......my thought is using acrylic and make new braces. I have some 1/2 inch stuff that might work.

I took some pictures but I am not sure where I can upload them to be seen publicly? I know there is a website out there people used to use but I can't remember what it is.

That's the one, thank you! Okay here is the picture of the one that is completely off. The crack doesn't look as bad now because I am holding it together with a bar clamp.
off_zpsupbnfyh6.jpg

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
If your trying to upload from your computer or your mobile device (tablet or phone) you can upload/add a photo to any thread/comment by clicking the "Upload a File" button.
Capture.PNG
You will just need to locate for the file (each device is a little different on how to find the file) and click "open" The picture will then load to our site and give you the option to add the image to your thread/comment by either attachment (which is just uploading the photo) or embedding it by either clicking "Thumbnail" or "Full Image" buttons

Capture2.PNG

I will attach soon... I think I completely misunderstood what the guy from Oceanic was saying. I thought he was telling me to do a cross bar out of 1" glass but I just looked up Euro bracing... it looks cool but I have no idea how I am going to accomplish that.

Here's a question guys, I have a piece of 3/16 titanium at work I can probably shear and have fabricated into something, with having a bow front does anyone have any ideas how I could attach that? I know that at least will not corrode.

Okay, so Titanium does not bed in a press break without heat and we do not have the skilled labor here, so for the time being I have a Stainless channel I am using. It will probably rust over time but for now it looks purdy. You can check out the pictures below.

Attachments

• IMG_8760.JPG
    IMG_8760.JPG
    851.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8761.JPG
    IMG_8761.JPG
    875.3 KB · Views: 16
Honestly....I'd bite the bullet...call a few different stores and get the cheapest price on a new tank. I think you are playing with fire......