• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Alternative to solar power

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
As I can't have solar power due to not having enough roof space from having dormers I just started looking into alternatives... This looks very promising and for the price it might be my best bet right now.. I know it only knocks out 3000 watts max but it would help putting a dent in my electric bill when my upgrade is finally done... Also living right near the Bay helps as we have a wind/ breeze most of the time
http://www.magnet4less.com/product_info.php?products_id=705

you talked to suntuity? as i understand it the latest panels can power up even more kw than the ones last year/two years ago.

I like wind power. It works at night too.
hahahha - excellent comment. you should be on their marketing team!!!!

Seriously though - i think wind is a great idea, except the only downside to wind is the collateral damage to birds in the area.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
you talked to suntuity? as i understand it the latest panels can power up even more kw than the ones last year/two years ago.
I had 2 companies have a look and both said the same thing about the roof.. shame really as the roof face's bang on south.. you can set the clock by it at noon as the sun is directly in front of the doorway

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yea, most of us wish we could go solar Ric.

Sid... this one looks better than the wrong link.

I think you should inquire about permits before buying the kit though.

Most municipalities in NJ restrict the height of accessory structures to 15'. So you'll need to request a variance from the Board of Adjustment to put this on your property.

You'll also need to submit construction documents to the building department that are signed & sealed by a NJ licensed engineer.

You may also want to inquire with your insurance agent as to wether this type of thing is covered under your policy.

That looked like a kit, and you'd have to spin your own wire ? Do you also need a battery to use it?
As far as permits, make it easy to remove (and put it in a new place).

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We mentioned this to the Guy from suntuity at the swap.

He said wind turbines require some crazy permit that can cost like half a million bucks. I was working Raffles at the time so I didn't hear exactly what he called the fee involved... but it didn't sound like this is a viable option for the average Joe.