• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anchor Worms

Some bad news. The hippo we got from BlueZoo for my brother has anchor worms.. besides being totally pissed we need a course of action. So far he is trying to catch the hippo which is not easy in a 90gal since he is 3/4" maybe. then comes treatment if possible. what to treat with?

I found from a little search that Potassium Pomegranate at 2MG per 10litre of water is doable in the community tank but tints the water i would imagine purple.

Any experience or help is greatly appreciated battling this parasitic Crustacean

what i have found so far

lernea.JPG

Anchor Worm

Young anchor worms are free swimming crustaceans that bury themselves into the fish’s skin. It takes several months before the worm becomes visible in form of holes or ulcers on the fish's body. After laying eggs, the worm dies off.

Since the worm can not be removed by hand, a potassium permanganate bath for about 20 minutes should cure it (dosage 10ml/l). http://www.algone.com/worms.php

Do NOT used Dimlin on arowana. Some fish can be very sensitive to Dimlin. Treatment: Once the fish is anesthetized, all anchor worms should the be removed very carefully with tweezers, ensuring that the head and anchor are removed, not just the body and tail of the anchor worm. If difficulties are experienced in removing the live anchor worm, a strong solution of Potassium Permanganate crystals should be prepare by mixing 1 gram in 25 ml's of hot water. Dip the tweezers tips into the solution prior to removing the worm. Once the solution touched the anchor worm body, it should release it grip immediately. Once removed, the point of contact should be disinfected with a strong tropical dressing.

i never heard of anchor worms in saltwater - but goes to show how limited my knowledge is in diseases. It's terrible but my experience with fish and disease is similar to how doctors used to treat horses and disease...(99% fatal). Maybe pm Dr Jim or post in his forum for suggestions?

Also - i guess there's no chance of sending the fish back eh?

the place is in Cali. I would think they are going to give me credit for it but who knows. they have been great so far just waiting for my emails to get read.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Anchor worms are actually a parasitic copepod. You can try a FW dip or a Formalin dip/bath.