• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Another AI Sol Blue-Can one have too much light?

I have a 45 cube (love it) with 1 AI Sol Blue above it. With the new price drop, I had a thought about adding a 2nd. What do people think? Can you have too much light? The reasons is that I'm thinking of doing this is that the edges of the tank aren't as bright as the center.

No not at 100. But the intensity wouldn't change things. It still will be brighter in directly under the light. I have a frag rack in the back corner and will have some caps and other things.

Then if you don't mind spending the $400 go for it, otherwise maybe you can move the frag rack?

Or have 2 so when you upgrade later you are set ;)

You can have too much light. I would be careful. It is more than possible to bleach your corals.
If your cube is the same as my 45g cube, you should not have any trouble growing SPS on the sandbed of that tank when the lights are ramped up.

Do you have feet, or have you hung the fixture? How far above the tank is the fixture? What optics do you have?
Keep in mind that a single fixture is supposed to be sufficient for a 36" x 36" spread.
For PAR ratings and diagrams of the spread you should be getting, take a look at this: http://www.aquaillumination.com/sol/performance.html.

FYI, we had that fixture on our 30g cube (we now have two fixtures on our 57g), and I moved things over from a tank with T5s, and placed them about 5" up from the sand bed, and I bleached the heck out of them. Try ramping your light up slowly, and see- when we had our lights hung too low (on the feet), and when we had them dimmed, we also got what I'd call the "spotlight effect". Since we turned them up, we are getting a good spread out of our lights. One way to test this is to remove corals, ramp up your lights then and see how the tank looks. I would bet that it will be fine.

Nikki - I have it hanging and I believe we have the same 45. It's the 24x24x18.
I currently have the lights as follows : White - 75%, Royal Blue - 70%, Blue - 75%. They are on the hang kit about 16" over the center of the tank going longer front to back. I have the standard out of the box opics.

My real goal was to have a more even distribution of the light, so that the fall off won't be as much at the edge. Thank for the link and the insight.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Nikki - I have it hanging and I believe we have the same 45. It's the 24x24x18.
I currently have the lights as follows : White - 75%, Royal Blue - 70%, Blue - 75%. They are on the hang kit about 16" over the center of the tank going longer front to back. I have the standard out of the box opics.

My real goal was to have a more even distribution of the light, so that the fall off won't be as much at the edge. Thank for the link and the insight.

Raise it more and increase the intensity. These light cover 24 X 24 when raised 20 inches. Try that first and see if the tank corners are better lit.
If not you can always add one later.

This is a pick of my tank with 6 of them sitting at 22 inches from water. Tank is 96 X 30 deep. The corals in the back (where it seems dark) are growing as well as any other in the tank.

DSC_0021-1.jpg

I had two of these units over the same tank and it was way tooo much.

It was too much and bleached everything. If you can turn the light so that it goes left to right instead of front to back and you will get better spread.

here is a better pic
198fa6b0.jpg

Thanks all. I raised it as suggested and seems to be better. Got to love the hang kit... was able to play around to get it in.

Can people post their settings? I'm currently at 40% white, 50% on the blues. Not sure how much higher I can go without the risk of bleaching.

Thanks for saving me the $400. Now on to the automatic water changer with a dosing pump project.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
40% W ??

OK - raise the royal blue to 60 ( over a period of time). Raise 5% a week. You will fall in love with the looks :p..

40 W 45 B 75RB is awesome..