• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Another reason not to impulse buy

At the store again and looking at the frags. This one catches my eye. Don't really want another softie but like the colors on it. Ask what it is. Get answer that it's a yellow carnation. Something stirs in back of my head but can't remember offhand. Ask him, what's the care like. He tells me, same as any other softie. Says it's like xenia. This guy knows his stuff and I can trust him so I say ok, bag it. Get home and set him in the tank. Doesn't open up. Odd. Suddenly I remember and I go and double check. Orange carnation is non-photosynthetic and will require addition of phytoplankton. Check another source, phyto may not sustain this guy as he is really a carnivore. Zooplankton should be supplemented. Oh well, time to get that rotifer culture started I guess. At least he opened up when I poured N. Oculata into the tank.

DSC_0074.jpg

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sounds like it has a better chance with you than with most as you seem very committed to getting it what it needs. Good luck keeping it and thanks for being so dilligent! Yes, it is so important NOT to impulse buy!

i've had one of those for bout 3 months growing well, i feed him the tiny particles in the dish after the rods food thaws with a turkey baster. mine seems quite happy thus far