• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Antenata/Radiata Lions

Has anyone seen any stores with one in stock? Preferably one that is eating and is not in a copper system. I am very weary on online ordering and prefer to see whatever fish before purchasing it.

deepblue68

POTM Winner
Has anyone seen any stores with one in stock? Preferably one that is eating and is not in a copper system. I am very weary on online ordering and prefer to see whatever fish before purchasing it.
absolutely fish has a radiata lionfish in stock but looked like it may have just come in was hiding with a lack of color.i was going to go back after the holidays if you would like me to check up and see how its doing to save you the trip?

absolutely fish has a radiata lionfish in stock but looked like it may have just come in was hiding with a lack of color.i was going to go back after the holidays if you would like me to check up and see how its doing to save you the trip?

I saw him too, a few days ago. Definitely wasn't looking good. I think he's getting bullied by the others in the tank.

Thanks for the update, that is why radiatas are hard to find, he might not make it if already in rough shape. :( If it's not out of your way @deepblue68, see if it is getting better.

deepblue68

POTM Winner
iam at absolutely fish and radiata lion has alot better color but chilling I. corner and not active.

Attachments

• 20191227_115936.jpg
    20191227_115936.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7

deepblue68

POTM Winner
it's been in for 2 weeks.they said they though it was eating but I had them feed and it had no interest. it probably would eat live but you would have to do some nursing I feel. this is just my opinions and observation but i have kept lions before and i think it may pull through.ill check back next week.

Thanks for checking on it! If he eats next week, might pick it up. He would be going into a qt for observation and treating internals so nursing it isn't a problem, as long he shows some interest in food.

radiata

NJRC Member
Saw that same Radiata today at AF. It didn't look bad to me - it was hanging out face-down/tail-up on a vertical piece of coral.

Keep in mind that Radiatas are "shrimpers" by nature. You might need to feed it live grass shrimp to get it eating.

I had one many many years ago. I got it to eat with six inches of clear fishing line attached to a clear acrylic rod, and a thawed grass shrimp impaled on the end of the fishing line. I would drag the thawed grass shrimp (or FD krill) slowly across the tank's substrate, and the Radiata would quickly take notice of it, stalk it, and woof it down.

If you're near the Jersey Shore, you can probably find a source of live grass shrimp. Near me, live feeder shrimp go anywhere from $.25 to $1.25 each when, and if, they are available.

Good luck with the fish...

Saw that same Radiata today at AF. It didn't look bad to me - it was hanging out face-down/tail-up on a vertical piece of coral.

Keep in mind that Radiatas are "shrimpers" by nature. You might need to feed it live grass shrimp to get it eating.

I had one many many years ago. I got it to eat with six inches of clear fishing line attached to a clear acrylic rod, and a thawed grass shrimp impaled on the end of the fishing line. I would drag the thawed grass shrimp (or FD krill) slowly across the tank's substrate, and the Radiata would quickly take notice of it, stalk it, and woof it down.

If you're near the Jersey Shore, you can probably find a source of live grass shrimp. Near me, live feeder shrimp go anywhere from $.25 to $1.25 each when, and if, they are available.

Good luck with the fish...
That's how I trained a marine beta to eat frozen, threw in shrimp and time to time would attach something to a fishing line and move it. Eventually he gave in and eats mostly frozen. I do feed live shrimp or some other small feeder from time to time to my tank. Keeps them stimulated and live food provides something that dead food doesn't for thier health, its the bacteria or whatever it was from some readings.
One other concern on top of eating with that radiata is its eyes look a lil puffy, I've seen it before on another lion I had.

radiata

NJRC Member
That's how I trained a marine beta to eat frozen, threw in shrimp and time to time would attach something to a fishing line and move it. Eventually he gave in and eats mostly frozen. I do feed live shrimp or some other small feeder from time to time to my tank. Keeps them stimulated and live food provides something that dead food doesn't for thier health, its the bacteria or whatever it was from some readings.
One other concern on top of eating with that radiata is its eyes look a lil puffy, I've seen it before on another lion I had.

That's very curious - I recall thinking that the right eye might have looked a little enlarged, but I couldn't confirm it as I had to look at the fish from the top view, so I let the thought go. If you do go for it, you'll definitely need to get the staff to get it swimming around before they try to catch it...

@radiata
Where do you buy your shrimp at, I'm in the brunswick area and the closest lfs is very on/off with feeder shrimp. I thought about using my QT to hold FW shrimp after adding the lion and some wrasse. That way I can buy in bulk and have a supply to gutload and last a while.

radiata

NJRC Member
I prefer to buy grass shrimp at Sea Level (Home). I pay $.25/@ there, but they don't always have them in stock - the supplier isn't especially reliable, especially in the summer.

I also hit Ely's (Ely's Tropical Fish). They get their's from the Florida's Everglades, but they run over $1/@. (I hit Ely's every other week for blackworms - the portions are large, and they have lots of other live feeders. But, live feeders do tend to run seasonally.)

I've seen grass shrimp feeders at Ocean Gallery 2 (Home | oceangallery) for, I recollect, $1.25/@. (They're no longer the retailer they once were, but I can get small crickets there for my Dart Frogs.)

I think grass shrimp can be bought on the Jersey Shore for bait, but I've yet to locate a bait shop carried them. If they are carried, they are no doubt seasonal.

Finally, we do have a fellow NJRC member, on the Shore, who catches grass shrimp in his back yard. I'll let him reach out to you...