• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anthias - what's the real deal

Are Anthias hardy? I see a lot of pcis from hobbyist but I really believe thatmost of these pics are taken within days of placing the fish in the tank - a very unfair practice as it leaves the observer to think that the fish has been around for some time :(

So what's the deal - are these fish hardy? If so, what kind? Real life experience would be best here - we can all read from a book ;)

Tito said:
Are Anthias hardy? I see a lot of pcis from hobbyist but I really believe thatmost of these pics are taken within days of placing the fish in the tank - a very unfair practice as it leaves the observer to think that the fish has been around for some time :(

So what's the deal - are these fish hardy? If so, what kind? Real life experience would be best here - we can all read from a book ;)

It depends on the species.

Hardy Anthias:

Pseudanthias bartlettorum (extremely hardy)
Pseudanthias bicolor
Pseudanthias ignitus
Pseudanthias parvirostris
Pseudanthias squamipinnis
Serranocirrhitus latus (when the only fish in the tank or with EXTREMELY peaceful tankmates)

Non-hardy Anthias:

Pseudanthias dispar
Pseudanthias evansi
Pseudanthias pascalus
Pseudanthias tuka
Pseudanthias ventralis
Serranocirrhitus latus (when in a tank where it's bothered)

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
I have 6 dispar in my reef,they have been there almost a year eat everything and anything foos wise that I put in the tank.Very hardy just buy them when they are eating.

reefsandrotts said:
I have 6 dispar in my reef,they have been there almost a year eat everything and anything foos wise that I put in the tank.Very hardy just buy them when they are eating.

The problem is finding them eating. It's nearly impossible.

Tito said:
Hum......

And you've kept all these from experience?

I've kept:

Hardy Anthias:

Pseudanthias bartlettorum
Serranocirrhitus latus

Non-hardy Anthias:

Pseudanthias dispar

The dispar that I had all died within a few weeks.

Squampinnis anthias are extremely hardy but also extremely territorial.

The rest in the list are just easy to take care of fish.

jonathan. said:
Tito said:
Hum......

And you've kept all these from experience?

I've kept:

Hardy Anthias:

Pseudanthias bartlettorum
Serranocirrhitus latus

Non-hardy Anthias:

Pseudanthias dispar

The dispar that I had all died within a few weeks.

Squampinnis anthias are extremely hardy but also extremely territorial.

The rest in the list are just easy to take care of fish.

I favor the Lyretails - does that mean that a male and a harem of females wont work in a 125 6 foot tank?