• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Any AC experience here?

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Here's the scoop: Our home has central air but it's terrible (bad ducting). It says cold upstairs but to keep the downstairs almost reasonable I have to run the thing 24/7 and the $400+ electric bills can't continue this year.

Lining up 2 options:

1. Portable Unit to supplement the central air. I need a portable as I have casement windows. Obviously this is the easiest and most cost effective, running around $500-600.

2. A mini-split. This is obviously the more expensive option at $1,200-$1,600 for the unit and another $800-1,000 to have installed. If I go this route is it possible to install on my own? It seems fairly straightforward but all the videos I watched are done by professional installers.

Any thoughts appreciated.

check your dampeners. You can control your airflow off your main reducing airflow to the places that are getting too much.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
My old house had the same problem. I had someone come look and said its big house for one zone AC and should upgrade to 2 zone AC.

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Mini split is the cat's pajamas...super efficient, and the newer ones can do heating/cooling.

You can do it yourself, for the most part. You need to ensure the lines aren't longer than ~25 ft. or you'll need to buy supplemental gas. The systems come with enough additional charge to fill up to 25 ft.

You will need a vac pump and some gauges, some electrical skills and potentially some join sweating skills.

I had mine installed (had to for permit purposes), but I watched and it doesn't seem too difficult.

They sell DIY friendly ones, but I don't think they're worth the extra cost...and the efficiency seems real low on them.

So far, and it's been only a year, I like our Mr. Cool 18k. It is the sole heating and cooling for 1/2 our house and hasn't let me down yet!

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
check your dampeners. You can control your airflow off your main reducing airflow to the places that are getting too much.
We have all the dampeners shut upstairs and it still doesn't put out enough to cool the lower level.

My old house had the same problem. I had someone come look and said its big house for one zone AC and should upgrade to 2 zone AC.
Yeah, we had a guy come in last year and he told us that the house is pretty big for the central unit we have, plus he told us we don't have enough ducts to adequately cover the lower level.

You will need a vac pump and some gauges, some electrical skills and potentially some join sweating skills.
So far, and it's been only a year, I like our Mr. Cool 18k. It is the sole heating and cooling for 1/2 our house and hasn't let me down yet!
Thanks for the info. For what I'm seeing on installations, the installer cost doesn't seem proportionate. I've had one installer tell me it shouldn't take long at all, then quoted me $1200 (just for the install).

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Thanks for the info. For what I'm seeing on installations, the installer cost doesn't seem proportionate. I've had one installer tell me it shouldn't take long at all, then quoted me $1200 (just for the install).
A few folk in my neighborhood all got theirs installed at the same time. Most of the places charged about 50% equipment, 50% install. So, $15k in unit and $15k in installation.

I had mine done by a shop, who also had to stamp my permit and put it in a sealed envelope and submit it to the township. He charged me ~$1300? And he was here about a half a day, and a good portion of that was waiting for the vac pump to suck the lines out.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Agree a mini split/ductless unit is the way to go for a nice finished look. However, there is one other setup you could consider, and if only interested in cooling, most likely the least expensive. First pick up the window air conditioner you'll need....let's say a 15K unit. Now cut a hole in the side of your house to specifically fit this unit. frame it out and sheetrock and molding, and you're done. If you're not comfortable doing this, I don't know if @mikem is still around and doing work on the side, but he'd be your man.

Depending on how your system is set up, you may be able to install an EWC Controls system (EWC – Ultra-Zone Comfort Solutions). I have this in my house and it essentially turns my single unit into 3 zones. It comes with automatic dampers that get installed in the main lines. Depending on your system you could have two. One for the 2nd floor and one for the first. And they are much more robust than the flimsy individual register dampers. One one zone is off, no air gets through to that zone.