• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Any copper in central jersey water?

I'm having some issues with invertebrates dying and after doing the standard water tests from a master kit and checking for stray voltage I am still stumped other than the idea of copper being in the water. I use our sink water (in New Brunswick) filtered through a 6 stage RO/DI and I usually use a mix of IO and Seachem Reef salt. Before I go get a copper test kit (which I know I should have) anyone know of any issues with NJ water?

hey! been a while.

i'm aware of any copper in central nj water. it's a brand new tank right? What kind of inverts?

hey Phil,

The tank is about 8 months old and it was brand new. I was originally using RO I got from Wholefoods Market (no problems) until I purchased an RO/DI about 4 months ago. I'd say in the last month and a half I lost about 8 blue legged hermits, 3 turbos, and about 10 of a mix of cerith/astrea/trochus, my fire shrimp, my skunk cleaner shrimp, and I lost my Midas Blenny who went from eating like a madman to not wanting to eat. My original 3 fish (two clowns + flame angel) as well as my newest addition of a Mandarin (bout 3 months) are all doing well. In addition some of the original snails are doing great. Up until their point of death all the snails were growing and both shrimp were molting almost once a week.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I believe North Brunswick is serviced by New Jersey American Water. You can probably go on their website and find water quality reports…if it’s not American Water, find out what company and search for water quality reports…they have to submit these to the government. I don’t believe copper has been a problem in central Jersey aquifers…it is naturally below the “maximum contamination level” in which the plants would then have to treat to remove this contaminant. However, let me also state that this level is what is measured at the plant. Most houses have copper waterlines, which could add additional copper to the water, especially if pH is off. Bottom line, if I would guess, it’s not the copper. But what do I know! :eek:

The RO unit should be extracting the copper from the water. (Folks who have RODIs - speak up here). I'm still waiting for one more piece before I set up my rodi - so apologies for not speaking from experience. Back when I lived in NY - the tap water was superb.

btw - sorry in my above post i meant to say "not" aware. But yes it is quite possible for the actual plumbing pipes to be made of copper.

Agree with redfishbluefish...I don't think it's copper . If it were - ALL your snails would be dead in my opinion. By far they are the canary in the so-called reef mine.

Are you using an auto-top off? Have there been any swings in salinity?

It may have been the salinity, because during that period it had dropped much lower than it had ever dropped before. Has been corrected since then.