• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Any experiences with a flameback angel in a reef???

Ive been wanting a flameback for the longest time. No doubt my favorite dwarf angel species, my only problem is I have a mixed reef with every kind of coral in it. I am aware through research that they are hit or miss in a reef, but I want to know from people that have kept them before, what was your experience?

Like you said, they are hit or miss. I don't have one but I have read that you should make it one of your last fish. They're very agressive and once it establishes itself it will harrass any fish that you add to the tank afterward.

what kind of algae?

honestly there are two ways to look at this - prevention and reaction.

Prevention:
Algae grows thanks to excess nutrients in the tank and phosphates also help drive the growth. Prevention includes reducing the amount of food in the tank, increased flow, getting a better skimmer, a phosban reactor or all of the above.

Reaction:
Get more snails, cerith, turbos, nerites, astreas, conchs, algae blenny, hermits (though I prefer snails), mithrax crabs (again prefer snails), some tangs, and more.

Not an expert in algae - these is just general advice. Best if you take a pic and identify the algae. For all I know you're talking about diatoms and they'll go away in a few.

The tank has been up for about 2 years now, so it certainly isnt any kind of diatoms. water params have been constant. Weekly water changes, refugium with chaeto, and CUC, the whole 9 etc. There isnt very much algae in the tank actually just specs here and there( tiny pieces on rock, powerhead, and wall. It isnt bothersome either, however I once had a flame angel in the tank and it would completely clean out the algae. NOw that I gave the angel away I looking for something else that can do the same for me. O and to descrive the type of algae I would say somekind of grass or hair algae, very green and string like

I had one in a reef with leathers, xenia, hammer and a candy cane for a couple years with no problems. I have seen them in several other mixed reefs as well. He eventually went to a tank with SPS and zoos and did well. They seem to be one that is not as likely to be problematic, like flame angels, although I would add him last as well.

I would hesitant with zoos, though and of course the disclaimer about the individual situation should always be considered. I just added two tangs to a tank with an Elbei Angel and he is harassing them quite a bit. If you are around nnj....Interested in an Elbei??

i have 2 tangs and a lawn mower blenny along with the assorted snails and the fish just go to town and pick pick pick. The lawnmower is great although he is pretty ugly he does a great job!!!!

Hey all thanks for the feedback. Boontonbob I do happen to live up north, Elmwood Park to be exact. Are you refering to this?? http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=457 Does the angel nip at anything? How long have you had him for? And he is aggressive your saying?

I was also thinking about the algae blenny, but he is kinda ugly lol Im thinkin maybe the starry blenny instead. A little bit better looking

Subliminal

NJRC Member
My flameback didn't touch a thing in my tank when I had him...albeit was only for a month before I learned the hard way that he was a jumper. :(

IMG_6598.jpg

I know Elmwood Park some...your about 20-25 minutes away.

On your link - Yep....that is also called an Eblei Angel. I have had him for about five months, since I adopted him with the tank. I only have a few button polyps, and small amount of zoas among some live rock I bought, and a couple montepora caps. right now in my tank and he does not bother them. I have found that he is being a pain right now, taunting a Kole tang I just added, so I would say if you add him late in the stocking process, it should be fine. He has not bothered the 7 chromis that I have. In general, pygmy angels are usually peaceful, but they get a little nutty when they have been settled into a tank for a while. A new tank would probably eliminate this.

To be honest, he is not a big consumer of algae except for pecking the glass regularly for it. He is a nice hardy, active fish though. I would sell him for $15, to help me replace the yellow tang I just lost!

Wow subliminal thats a gorgeous flameback! Sorry for your loss, its a shame that he was a jumper... This shouldnt be a problem in my tank, I have eggcrate over it. Well you guys are really convincing me too get somekind of dwarf angel, I say this cuz im interested in that eblei now lol

Boontonbob you got pm

I dont think ill be getting the flameback anymore. nyaquatic is now currently out of stock and its too expensive in any LFS, however I have decided on getting some kind of dwarf angel. I just found out that Absolutely Fish will accept exchanges/credit or whatever if the fish should nip so I figure why not, theres nothing to lose. Im heading there today and ill update for my choice. Most likely ill try out a coral bueaty or pygmy wish me luck ;D

if you sign up to become a njrc member - our sponsors do provide discounts...just not sure if any are close to you. Good luck!