• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Any Firearms enthusiasts??

Just to really crack y'all up, the local police impounded all my weapons at one point,(LOOOONG Story) including the M-1, and subsequently returned them all to me (including the M1). I had to write a letter to the County Prosecutor.

I will never get rid of it, it was my dad's, he served in WWII (though he bought it after the war). It's an Underwood, made by the Underwood Typewriter Co. (for you M1 buffs out there...).

Garand IS okay, you can still buy a surplus Garand cheaply through the government's gun club program (Cherry Ridge does some of this).

You are very lucky that the detective or the Prosecutor's office did not catch it. :)

I'm trying to find it, but I think the Garand is ok.

The more I get involved with this hobby, the more I find NJ to be NUTS when it comes to Gun laws!!

Just remember that certain weapons are on "the list". But you can make a weapon illegal by adding things to it, such a putting a grenade launcher on a long arm :) hahahha

This is true....

But whether the weapon was returned, it is now "technically" illegal to "knowingly possess"

IMO if you want to keep it as a "keepsake" since it was your father's, I would take it to a gun shop and have it converted to inoperable. Weapons charges in NJ are no Joke! It is a 2nd degree crime to posses an illegal weapon and this charge most likely falls under the "Grave's Act", if convicted you WILL do prison time, and there is no plea bargaining.

RTSP looks nice. Do they have a safety class or anything similar? I can't find it on their website. If so how much was it?

$25 for lane fee + $10 gun rental seems pretty reasonable.

On another note, anyone have any experience with the Glock 22 Gen 4 in .40 cal or a Glock 21 in .45 cal. I had the pleasure of firing a 17 and enjoyed in thoroughly.

I carried the 17 for about 6 yrs. I liked it very much. During that time I only wish the agency gave us the 19 instead. When we switch to new sidearms it came down to the glock 22 and H&K p2000. I got to shoot the 22 and loved it. The agency went to the H&K and has regretted it ever since. Luckily they only have another 2 yrs of service life left can't wait to give it back.

I carried the 17 for about 6 yrs. I liked it very much. During that time I only wish the agency gave us the 19 instead. When we switch to new sidearms it came down to the glock 22 and H&K p2000. I got to shoot the 22 and loved it. The agency went to the H&K and has regretted it ever since. Luckily they only have another 2 yrs of service life left can't wait to give it back.

GLOCK = YUCK!!!
We carry Sig Sauers, have Zero complaints about them. Never fail.

I'm a sporting clays shooter, completely different then going to a range. Its like the duck hunt video game but with a 12 gauge.
I use to shoot every weekend at a course in Leigh valley. Most who have tried get hooked.

I'd be happy to go out with anyone interested one weekend, but if you've never shot a shotgun I would highly recommend a lesson as hitting a moving target with a shotgun isn't as easy as it seems. Also learning how to mount the shotgun minimizes the recoil.

Law Enforcement all over the county uses Glock as their primary and secondary.. You can bury them in the sand, throw em in the ocean or out of a plane and theyll still fire.. A lot of people dont like them because of the composite trigger assembly but it is durable and keeps weight down.. I have a 26 and 19 and I have never had an issue with either.. To each his own..

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
RTSP looks nice. Do they have a safety class or anything similar? I can't find it on their website. If so how much was it?

$25 for lane fee + $10 gun rental seems pretty reasonable.

Jeff check their ammo prices then decide if it's a great deal. I know 1 range that charges $20 lane fee, $15 for rental and $30/box for 9mm ammo. The biggest drawback to rentals is that you have to use their ammo and that is where they get you.

Then you my friend are a very lucky man.

Yes, I would agree with that statement.

Nope, five or or so years ago. We even joked about the M1 at the police station. My town is more pro-gun then some others in NJ.

Pro-Gun or not, I am not risking my job or my pension. Hate to say it, if it was my department it would probably not have gone that way. Or they just did not know it was considered an "assault weapon" believe it or not, many officers may not know that it is or not.

I would still recommend to you that you make the weapon inoperable, and if you don't then I would not discuss any further that you are in possession of it.

Ehhhh...just read the law again....it doesn't matter if you inherited the gun or not unfortunately.

It could be legal to your father if it was registered by May 1, 1991.

"Any “assault firearm” legally possessed before May 1, 1990 is illegal unless that firearm was registered before May 1, 1991. Any “assault firearm” which was not owned prior to May 1, 1990, must be licensed. The licensing procedures for an “assault firearm” are the same as those listed in MACHINE GUNS, above.
Upon the death of the owner of a properly licensed “assault firearm,” the owner’s heirs or estate have 90 days if unable to get a license to either transfer the firearm to any person or firm lawfully entitled to own or possess such firearm, render the firearm inoperable, voluntarily surrender it, or remove the firearm from New Jersey to a state where the “assault firearm” would be legal."

Now I am still looking for it, but I do believe that you can try ang get licensed to own an assault weapon. And I would think you would qualify well since "it was your father's from the war."

Ehhhh...just read the law again....it doesn't matter if you inherited the gun or not unfortunately.

It could be legal to your father if it was registered by May 1, 1991.

"Any “assault firearm” legally possessed before May 1, 1990 is illegal unless that firearm was registered before May 1, 1991. Any “assault firearm” which was not owned prior to May 1, 1990, must be licensed. The licensing procedures for an “assault firearm” are the same as those listed in MACHINE GUNS, above.
Upon the death of the owner of a properly licensed “assault firearm,” the owner’s heirs or estate have 90 days if unable to get a license to either transfer the firearm to any person or firm lawfully entitled to own or possess such firearm, render the firearm inoperable, voluntarily surrender it, or remove the firearm from New Jersey to a state where the “assault firearm” would be legal."

Now I am still looking for it, but I do believe that you can try ang get licensed to own an assault weapon. And I would think you would qualify well since "it was your father's from the war."

Last night I was in my office and looked at every part of the law including registering an assault weapon. Inheritance is NOT listed. I do not think that he would be allowed to legally register it just because it is his fathers. The only way I can see him keeping it is rendering it inoperable, which is listed in the first paragraph of the statute. Keep-sake or not, Not worth 5 years in prison for it in my eyes.

Do you know of anybody who has been indicted for posession of an M1 carbine in NJ ever? My feeling is that they kind of avoid the law unless they are trying to heap charges onto someone with another offense. Remember there have to be charges brought and an indictment. I get the feeling that enforcement is at the discretion of the officer.

Do you know of anybody who has been indicted for posession of an M1 carbine in NJ ever? My feeling is that they kind of avoid the law unless they are trying to heap charges onto someone with another offense. Remember there have to be charges brought and an indictment. I get the feeling that enforcement is at the discretion of the officer.

Yes officers have discretion, that is correct. It really comes down to what-ifs. What if you decided to shoot that weapon and someone is injured (not even saying that you tried to hurt anyone), then it is found out that those weapons were confiscated and then returned to you. Then the police department can be sued and even the individual officer for returning them to you. Remember NJ is a sue happy state. But knowingly breaking the law is ignorance IMO. So you want to be the first one to be charged. Like I said, if my department were to confiscate your weapons there is a 99.9% chance that you would be charged. The weapon is illegal and there is no way around it. If you want to keep it in NJ, then you are taking a chance. That chance is totally up to you.

Jeff check their ammo prices then decide if it's a great deal. I know 1 range that charges $20 lane fee, $15 for rental and $30/box for 9mm ammo. The biggest drawback to rentals is that you have to use their ammo and that is where they get you.

Yeah that is the downside. But I'm not interested in owning a gun or having one in my house. But being able to shoot once a month or a few times a year is worth the extra cost to me.

Just got an email back from them, $12.99 / box of 100 .22LR, not bad.

I think I may head over on Saturday with my son if its going to rain.

I called them about .380 ammo, they want $26.99/box of 50 if you aren't a member. Some of their pricing is terrible, but if you are only the occasional shooter, than not that bad.

And for Jim....it really sucks about the M1. Nothing about it should be illegal. Stupid NJ!!