• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Any Firearms enthusiasts??

What is everyone's take here on HP ammo? There seems to be a lot of information both against and for its legal rights in NJ....

Hollow points are legal for non law enforcement in homes. But just can't carry outside. Possession become a crime if the weapon is used in a crime. The hp is an added charge

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Anthony...that is one of the things people argue about.

The law also states exemptions:

1.A member of a rifle or pistol club organized under rules of the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and which filed its charter with the State Police;
2.A person engaged in hunting or target practice with a firearm legal for hunting in this State;
3.A person going directly to a target range, and;
4.A person going directly to an authorized place for "practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions."

So does this mean that a normal civilian can transport them to and from the range? It looks that way. But if there is a slight deviation from the most direct route either to the range or back home...including stopping for gas...then you are committing a crime??

Yes, that is a specific NO-NO. Would you really get charged for stopping for gas? Probably not. But what if you stop at the store and run in and your car gets stolen and then someone kills someone with your gun and ammo. Then you are going to get charged IMO.

Ya hunting with it is no problem. Not sure why someone would target shoot with HP, since it is much more expensive.

It just comes down to transportation of the ammo.

Talking to people in other states really makes me realize how crazy our gun laws our.

If anyone in NJ needs to know one thing about the gun laws, if your going to go on a hunting trip, DO NOT book your flights through any of the new york air ports.

In NY's eyes, anyone who owns a gun that is not a NY resident is a felon and will be arrested regardless of the Firearm Owners Protection Act. Lately people have been getting arrested at the NY air ports for declaring they have a legal unloaded gun in a locked TSA box with ammo segregation.

The worst part of this is that if convincted your facing a minimum of 3 1/2 years in jail if you go to court, so most people plea and take the $10-15k in fines/fees instead.

There is a lot of grey area and a lot of the gun laws in this state are open to interpretation. The laws in this state really need some updating!!!!

Anthony...you still out there?

Is it true that it is illegal for me to take my legally purchased and registered hand gun to my mother-in-law's house, which I will be staying at for the weekend, and while there I am going to take her to a local range as she wants to try shooting? But I can take my rifle with me without a problem? Again, keep in mind both of the guns are legal and I both myself and the MIL are both in NJ.

My understanding is that as long as it is LOCKEd the entire time at MIL home it wouldn't be illegal given the intent and purpose. BUT the norm is primary residence of the licensed gun owner. I know when I go to the range with my friends we do not stop at anyone's home until we return to the original orgin. My advice, don't get pulled over...

Anthony...you still out there?

Is it true that it is illegal for me to take my legally purchased and registered hand gun to my mother-in-law's house, which I will be staying at for the weekend, and while there I am going to take her to a local range as she wants to try shooting? But I can take my rifle with me without a problem? Again, keep in mind both of the guns are legal and I both myself and the MIL are both in NJ.

Without pulling out the 2C book. I am going to say it is "technically illegal". You are only allowed to transport the weapon from your home to the place that you will be shooting it without any stops in the middle. Even if only in NJ.

Now even if you got stopped and you informed the officer that you had a weapon with you locked properly, would you get jammed up?? i don't think that you would,

If you want I will check on it when I get back to work on Tuesday :)