• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Any Idea what this can be?

This is happening to my 2 acros that I have.....it looks like if they are losing the skin.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416613552676.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416613552676.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 80
RTN or STN depending on how fast it's happening. Something's not right with your parameters. How long have you had that piece?

Yes to above. Alk swings will definitely do this. Best to keep parameters stable for weeks, if it progresses frag off the ends.

if it is an alk swing, its not the worst one - and you wont lose all your sps like i just did.
i soon saw bits of flesh falling off from all over, along with burnt tips, and a receding base. you just have a receding base.
i had an acro frag do that when it had too little light, and i saw some other corals do it in response to too much light as well. so if its new to the tank it might be upset about the placement.

My Alk was at 7.3 dkh, I'm installing and setting up my dosing pump that came this morning, I have only 2 acros a frag of green slimer and the one in the previous pic...I noticed is happening the same to the green slimer frag that I got this week.

Ouch...
I like mine at 10 dkh too. Mine fell to 8 or so and did a ton of damage. However how fast it falls is also important. Did it drop slowly cuz you didn't dose, or did you OD on calcium?

My advice is return your parameters to normal slowly (no more than 1dkh change per day), then keep em stable. Hope for the best.

well, my fish are fine lol

90% of the sps are dead and waiting for me to have the heart to pull the skeletons out. this is my cali tort:

its depressing. but what can you do. i rationalize it as not actually killing the coral - they are asexual propagates. like rooted cutting from a tree - the main tree is still doing well in the tank of ORA, or Tyree, or JF, or whoever, and a ton of other clones are also doing good.
but my tank still looks like a graveyard.

hope you fare better. my corals looked like that within a week, and the whole time had no PE. yours dont look as bad.

its depressing. but what can you do. i rationalize it as not actually killing the coral - they are asexual propagates. like rooted cutting from a tree - the main tree is still doing well in the tank of ORA, or Tyree, or JF, or whoever, and a ton of other clones are also doing good.
but my tank still looks like a graveyard.

hope you fare better. my corals looked like that within a week, and the whole time had no PE. yours dont look as bad.
Thanks bud and good luck with your re-stocking....I still have some pulsing xenia left, the same one I gave you and a frag of green birds nest in case you want it.

Nah I'm good.
Xenia is doing fine. The sps were hit hardest. Only a handful may make it - the valida, red planet, and mystic sunset. But softies are unaffected, and my LPS mostly seem ok. Only my war and peace favites is complaining. But it's mostly intact.

If i were you i wouldn't raise your alk back to 10 right away. Id maintain what it is now 7.3 or whatever. Then when the STN stops or you see its health progressing, bring it back up slowly, i wouldn't raise it more than 1 dkh per couple days. I run my tank in the low 7s, had it drop to 5 once due to switching dosers and screwing up the dose amounts. Didn't notice for at least 2 weeks, didn't get any casualties mostly because they were small gradual decreases/increases in alk.