• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Any turtle experts?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Went to feed our Red ear Sliders and one had its leg stuck up the suction tube of the canister filter. I took off the screen to get more stuff sucked out a few days back. Not sure how this happened. We thought it was dead as it seemed lifeless. I pushed it out and it swam a little. Put into another container with a little water and some land. It seems to be doing better; moving its head more and other three legs. The problem leg is swollen and seems to not move. Any suggestions other than a vet?

Thanks,
Mark

ouch sorry to hear that. Do you know if it was able to breath while stuck? Most likely it is just stressed from the experience.

Curious if the issue was that it got stuck there and is now showing ill symptoms or if it was feeling ill and then it got stuck. Will never know for sure I guess.

I've been on this forum a few times and there are couple folks who may chime in with some help: redearedslider.com

Another I've seen that may have more traffic is this: turtleforum.com

Good luck!

p.s. great to meet you and thanks for the help. I'll post a pic of my turtle tank soon!

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Phil,
Thanks for the info. I went nad posted on Turtle Forum, wait and see now. It was good to meet you Mehgan. Post those pics.

Mark

Hi Mark I am sorry to hear about your turtle. I am not a turtle expert but pretty close.. I have been keeping turtles for a very long time and have nursed some serious injuries back to health.. Where are you located , maybe I could take a look at your injured turtle..

A few I just hatched out.

004.jpg

Its probably an infection in the leg. I would recommend giving him baytril. Its works best to inject but can also be given orally. I have successfully used baytril many times treating infections in reptiles, though never treated turtles. If you would like I could give my vet a call (he specializes in exotics).

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Turtle seems to be moving around this morning. The leg is in a normal position but am not sure how well it can use it. Thanks everyone for the responses. Larry if you want to stop to take a look at it I am in Union Beach, NJ.

Mark