• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anybody else dumb enough to have a koi pond as well as a salt tank?????????

A little off topic but what the hell..............It's funny how my corals take a back seat to our koi pond in the summer. Heres some pics of our pond. It has evoldved over the last 2o years. It started out as just a tub at the bottom with a little waterfall for some noise in our backyard, and has just kept growing.
L2prMYL.jpg

GK2BGW0.jpg

last year I decided to expand the ponds upper level and add what we refer to as the scales of justice with some spillway bowls. LOL!
T4RU0E3.jpg

For the last 20 years we have been running the pond with zero filtration and battling all the issues that comes along with that. So this spring I built a large raised waterbox garden for the wife. It's basically a large under gravel filter. Water is pumped into the bottom of the box and flows up through all kinds of media , and then gravity feeds back to the pond. Damn thing worked perfect as it has cleared up our pond in only 2 weeks!
y1w96OO.jpg

Cheers!
zGHm1eh.jpg

Anybody else have a koi ;pond???????? Would love to see some pics

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Wowwwww beautiful

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Stan, Doug and I still remember the meeting at your house, and we talked about your pond almost as much as your tank. lol

I have a system of "ponds". When we redid our house, I had Doug bury the old bathtub and then joined it with 3 other preformed small pond liners. My daughter has been after me to dig it all up and make one big pond with a liner. I just have visions of my grandchildren swimming in a bigger pond.

I am dumb enough. I love my Koi. They are like little gavones whenever I walk by them. I hand feed them all and they let me pet them. They all have personalities.

Attachments

• 70396620047__FEB6FF15-0477-4B00-B095-A2DB1A350870.jpeg
    70396620047__FEB6FF15-0477-4B00-B095-A2DB1A350870.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8158.jpeg
    IMG_8158.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3807.jpeg
    IMG_3807.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0052.jpeg
    IMG_0052.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 67901155861__6D4EC80B-FC63-416C-8E10-9E27EFD8F21F.jpeg
    67901155861__6D4EC80B-FC63-416C-8E10-9E27EFD8F21F.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Very nice! Love the spillway bowls. All diy? I installed ponds for years and may actually get back into it.

A little off topic but what the hell..............It's funny how my corals take a back seat to our koi pond in the summer. Heres some pics of our pond. It has evoldved over the last 2o years. It started out as just a tub at the bottom with a little waterfall for some noise in our backyard, and has just kept growing.
L2prMYL.jpg

GK2BGW0.jpg

last year I decided to expand the ponds upper level and add what we refer to as the scales of justice with some spillway bowls. LOL!
T4RU0E3.jpg

For the last 20 years we have been running the pond with zero filtration and battling all the issues that comes along with that. So this spring I built a large raised waterbox garden for the wife. It's basically a large under gravel filter. Water is pumped into the bottom of the box and flows up through all kinds of media , and then gravity feeds back to the pond. Damn thing worked perfect as it has cleared up our pond in only 2 weeks!
y1w96OO.jpg

Cheers!
zGHm1eh.jpg

Anybody else have a koi ;pond???????? Would love to see some pics
Loving the house where are you located? Looks so peaceful

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I use to have a pre-fab about 120g in my old house. Pain to keep clean and tried many filters. Best was a DIY I made from a storage container.

Adam L

NJRC Member
Love the house, landscaping, hard scraping and the Koi. Always wanted a koi pond but I think my wife would kill me. I spend too much time on my reef tank as is.

Loving the house where are you located? Looks so peaceful
Northern Hunterdon County near Washington.
Very nice! Love the spillway bowls. All diy? I installed ponds for years and may actually get back into it.
Yes all diy......this is why I walk with a limp and can't bend over very good anymore. LOL!
Stan, Doug and I still remember the meeting at your house, and we talked about your pond almost as much as your tank. lol

I have a system of "ponds". When we redid our house, I had Doug bury the old bathtub and then joined it with 3 other preformed small pond liners. My daughter has been after me to dig it all up and make one big pond with a liner. I just have visions of my grandchildren swimming in a bigger pond.
There's a place in Denvill called Atlantis Water Gardens. If you go on youtube and check out there videos they build some really cool recreational ponds where you can have koi and swim with them. Most all the big ponds builders have moved away from big mechanical style filtration systems. They now use a big wetland or bog systems which is basically an under gravel filter system and aquatic plants for filtration.

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Join us for Fitz's Fish Ponds 2nd ANNUAL KOI FEST!!

Check out our Eventbrite Page to Buy Tickets:

This year's 2nd Annual Koi Fest is being held on Saturday, August 26th 2023 from 10am-4pm!
We are so excited to provide the absolute BEST deals on Koi, Plants and Hardgoods!

We will have some great vendors including:

Food Trucks:
Oink & Moo, Nana's Pizza, and Q-Bros Ice Cream & Italian Ice

Vendors:
Evolution Aqua, Koi Trips,Techo Bloc, Hikari, Microbe Lift, Atlantic Oase, Mid-Atlantic Koi Club & More!

Hourly Raffles with GREAT Prizes!
Tosai Koi, Nisai Koi, Sansai Koi
A KOI TRIP TO JAPAN and MORE!

Special Guests from Japan!

Kids Activities

LIVE Music

Tri-State ZNA Koi Show

Koi Auction

and so much more!

Join us for Fitz's Fish Ponds 2nd ANNUAL KOI FEST!!

Check out our Eventbrite Page to Buy Tickets:

This year's 2nd Annual Koi Fest is being held on Saturday, August 26th 2023 from 10am-4pm!
We are so excited to provide the absolute BEST deals on Koi, Plants and Hardgoods!

We will have some great vendors including:

Food Trucks:
Oink & Moo, Nana's Pizza, and Q-Bros Ice Cream & Italian Ice

Vendors:
Evolution Aqua, Koi Trips,Techo Bloc, Hikari, Microbe Lift, Atlantic Oase, Mid-Atlantic Koi Club & More!

Hourly Raffles with GREAT Prizes!
Tosai Koi, Nisai Koi, Sansai Koi
A KOI TRIP TO JAPAN and MORE!

Special Guests from Japan!

Kids Activities

LIVE Music

Tri-State ZNA Koi Show

Koi Auction

and so much more!
Went to this koi fest last year and going again this year, they got some awesome koi but not cheap.

Northern Hunterdon County near Washington.

Yes all diy......this is why I walk with a limp and can't bend over very good anymore. LOL!

There's a place in Denvill called Atlantis Water Gardens. If you go on youtube and check out there videos they build some really cool recreational ponds where you can have koi and swim with them. Most all the big ponds builders have moved away from big mechanical style filtration systems. They now use a big wetland or bog systems which is basically an under gravel filter system and aquatic plants for filtration.
My dads in Clinton, wish I could afford to move back there !