• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anybody leave the hobby and come back?

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I am a little sad - I am moving. I think versus moving tank that is not being upkept correctly; I am going to leave the hobby for a bit.

I hope someday to get back in it, but with my work hours it is just sad when lights are always off. I don't have time energy to do what my livestock deserve.

Last edited:
I was there where you are 3 years ago. I just didnt have the time. Now im more felxible and I dove right in again. I just couldnt keep the itch away. If anything I feel I am doing way better than I did before. Corrected alot of my mistakes and im sure ill make new ones,

In my short time in the hobby and on this forum. I have seen several people posting that they are back after a stint away. If you love it. I’m certain you will be back. Best of luck. See ya soon ;)

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
definitely a laundry list of things I would do different.

Some things went well though. I would have to find away to be more efficient

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I think if you decide to get back in, your next tank will be 2x as good. Like you mentioned you would've learned from your mistakes.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Recently got back into the mid size stuff of 100g plus but I did it this time with some education behind me and spent some time and thought on the setup.
The 110 I'm running (with 30g sump) is practically maintenance free with an ATO top up, filter floss change, glass clean, and skimmer empty every 2 days.
I do a 5-10g water change every week or two and throw in some home made food every night.
I don't monitor parameters unless it seems something is going wrong, and I don't get too concerned over algaes (I've got some red atm).
Things thrive.
I spent 10 mins with it last night, 0 with it tonight, and figure on a water change/floss change/glass clean for 15-20 mins on Saturday morning, then I'm clear till Tuesday or so.
But I'm not very anally retentive about monitoring. I have generic timers, no computers, and don't worry about testing parameters unless it seems something is wrong.
If you set up right and let the tank be the tank, it seems to work out well with minimal time expenditure.

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Biggies I learned - I should have gone a little bigger tank. Rockscape still need room to clean glass.

Slow and I think Mark C i wouldnt test so much just does it look right

radiata

NJRC Member
I got into the hobby in 1970, after the Army let me go. In the mid 1960s the Aquarium Stock Company ("Aquastock"), in lower Manhattan, was selling Blue Devils and Perculas, and I was hooked. So, I built myself a plexiglas tank in 1970 and have kept saltwater specimens ever since.