• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anyone Breed Cardinals?

Just trying to see if there is anything special I need to do. Male is holding eggs right now. How long before they hatch and he spits them out?

IMG_1026.jpg

The males incubate the fry for up to 3 weeks. I've had Bangaii cardinals breed before. Don't know much about this breed of cardinals, but I'm sure it's similar. You will need to feed the fry rotifers and baby brine for success. I had 19 fry show and only one survive a few months. Your other fish may become very opportunistic over the addition of "Live food" when the fry pop out. Also, filters can take quite a few fry for a ride.

Hey- i have both rotifers and decap'd bbs. However - if you are serious about raising them you really need to start the rotifer culture asap. Mine are all freeze-dried and it will take a few days/weeks to get the population cranking enough to feed the fish. At this stage your choice might be to go purchase rotifers in a large scale live to jump start a colony. All you need is an empty salt bucket, some airline tubing and rotifer food (aka phyto plankton).

bbs is really easy - just set up a hatchery and watch them hatch in 24 hrs. They didn't sell these things on the back of comic books as sea monkeys for nothing..easy.

I figured I'd go the route of bbs. If I can catch them I'm gonna put them in with the starfish. As far as rotifers go is that something I can buy at the LFS? Or do I need to order them online?

I figured I'd go the route of bbs. If I can catch them I'm gonna put them in with the starfish. As far as rotifers go is that something I can buy at the LFS? Or do I need to order them online?

I am fairly sure you'd have to order rotifers. You can order them either live (if in a rush) or freeze dried. The latter is far cheaper but it will take a while before the colony is anywhere near big enough to support a batch of fry. If you go the live route and are not available to accept delivery, might be better to have the LFS order it and hold it for you. Rotifers are prolific breeders. They eat and every 4 hrs all that food they just ate will be fully digested and they will want to eat more. Therefore technically speaking you have to feed them every 4 hrs, but no one is crazy enough to do that. A saner method would be just to dose enough phyto so the water it tinged green. As the rotifers consume, reproduce and consume more, they will slowly filter out all the green phyto until the water is clear. You don't want to wait for it to become clear as by then they will be starving. In the past I fed twice a day, once in the AM before work, and once when I came back. Adjust the dosage based on how quickly you notice the water clearing. Putting too much food will cause the water to foul also killing them.

Clownfish breeders will have rotifers. So if an LFS (either trop or the store across the street from them) is breeding clowns - you may be in luck. I know Dr. mac was breeding clowns but I am not sure if he is selling rotifers. Alternatively I knew of two guys around the woodbridge area that bred or are breeding clowns...but i haven't heard from them in a while so maybe if they read this they will pm you.

Happy to give you some of the freeze dried stuff but like i said it will take a while. I have it as a back-up in case I suddenly have the urge to breed clowns again.

Well Unfortunatly he swallowed them. :( Maybe next time I'll be better prepared. I read that if he didn't fatten up enough or it was his first batch this might happen. O'well. Maybe next time.

Woo that's a beauty of the fish and specially the nature whose make this fish so superb.Golden color and white lines in between them which is adding more the nature of this fish..Which scale do you use for measure the weight of this fish?