• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anyone got a pickle?

It's funny what you find that fluoresces in real life when UV light hits it. I used to keep a UV flashlight and go shine it in the tank in the dark. That is where I found unique snails. It turns out that scorpions do also, so it is easy to find them at night.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
It's funny what you find that fluoresces in real life when UV light hits it. I used to keep a UV flashlight and go shine it in the tank in the dark. That is where I found unique snails. It turns out that scorpions do also, so it is easy to find them at night.
So does aloe if you break off a piece.

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
hi mark .hope all is good.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
You got me! What's a "Pickle"?
Bob,
Apparently, if you cut a pickle and put it under UV light, it looks like the pic above. Unfortunately I didn't have a pickle last night or I would have cranked up my 'UV' settings to see what would happen.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
This sparked my interest and actually looked up the wavelength of a "Blacklight".....part of my youth....we all had one. And I was mildly surprise....it's UV-A light. Here's the actual verbiage:

UV-A, which is also called "blacklight" or "Long Wave" UV, spans wavelengths between 320 and 400 nm. It is the closest UV radiation to visible light. Almost all of the ultraviolet radiation that makes it through our atmosphere to Earth's surface is UV-A.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Déjà vu late 60's, early 70's with a black light and a little Black Sabbath on the stereo. Never noticed if my pickle was fluorescing.
Ha. Right be you Zak Wylde will be playing in Starland Ballroom Jan 5- Zak Sabbath. yes, I will be attending.