• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anyone hear of this sand??

I was at Home Depot looking for Southdown sand. No one has it. I did find this at the Home Depot in Bridgewater. It has this disclaimer on the package: "This product contains small amounts of crysalline silica (CAS 14808-60-7), A common mineral found in natural sand and stones......" Is this a problem? It is distributed by a company called Old Castle Retail. It did mention not for aquarium use. Anybody got a take on this stuff?

Attachments

• playsand1.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 147
  • playsand2.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 149
ebqwert said:
How many bags are you looking for?  I have 3 I haven't used.

I'm in Marlboro, 07746

Eric

I was probably only going to get 2 bags. I think you're a little far for me. Have you used this sand? Do you like it?

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I used 5 bags mixed in with 3 bags of pink figi in my 125gal. It's real fine sand. If you use it, rinse it well. Someone here bought a bad bag which turned his rinsing water red or pink.

C

concept3

Hmmm, you could always do a silicate test on the sand to check the levels. I believe they lead to some kind of microscpic bloom if in large quantities (I forget if it's the diatomaceous type of cyanobacterial)

I would think that if you took a sample of that sand and place it in some vinegar, it would either fizz (calcium based) or not (silica based). There are still rumors that certain HD's still carry the original Carribean sand, Otherwise, I know there are a few people in the club that have some lying around.... like Eric :)

fisheye

NJRC Member
Mike,

That is what I use. It didn't cause any problem. It is very fine sand, so you might want to use it as the lower layer of your sand bed. On top that, put an inch of regular live sand.

The sand is sugar white. Don't try to taste it. ;D

Peter

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I've been using it for 2 years with no problems. The vinegar test was done and it did fizz.

all sands not sold in fish stores have to say that for legal purpose, when i bought south down it said the same thing.