• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anyone keep reptiles?

Anyone else here keep or are interested in reptiles. Before moving around and medical issues I used to keep and breed a decent amount of reptiles. Have been dying to set up a terrarium with poison dart frog. Used to keep mostly geckos, boas and frogs.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My 12 yr old son has a pair of Anols.
They are very friendly and don't have a problem with being handled. They especially enjoy having their chins rubbed.

I had a Tamatave panther chameleon but it died from old age recently. Been thinking about getting another one soon but I could buy a ton of frags for the cost of one of these guys...
IMG_7412.jpg

Jul2305.jpg

Stunning animal, Greg. They are not easy to take care of, are they?

I have a Hypo Tangerine Gecko whom I "rescued" from an infamous pet shop last year. I've been trying to sell her with the entire setup, but no luck so far. She's very docile and super sweet. Here she is:
Gecko10-5-071.jpg

BindiSue11-30-06-1.jpg

---
Wendy

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Have 4 Leopard geckos and a bearded dragon. Used to have a ribbon snake. Mostly kept amphibians for awhile such as Tiger and marble salamanders, Red eye tree frogs other common tree frogs, red belly toads and newts. They seem much harder to care for.

Not anymore, but I did in the past. Many years ago, when I worked for that "infamous pet shop." ;D

When I was there, they were well cared for! ;)

years ago i had a small reptile zoo....
10 different pythons and boas ( the largest was a 16ft Burmese python named Zeus ).......3 pairs of water dragons , a pair of blue tongue skinks, a pair of tegus and a 3ft x 4ft terrarium full or frogs,salamanders and the bottom was a shallow water basin with fish and fresh water crabs.

Nice panther GregW sorry you lost him. If you do decide to get another I know a few breeders and could get you a fair price.

Good look with your leo Wendy, I'll keep my ears open for you.

Wobbegong that is beautiful GTP really nice colors and markings. How old, what locale? Would love to see some more pics.

RichT your anoles tolerate handling? You got 2 out of a million that will. Are the reg green anoles?

When I lived in Atlanta, my roommate, Beth, and I were particularly infamous for unofficially rescuing and fostering unusual animals, including reptiles. There was a time when we had seven red eared sliders, two musk turtles, two savannah monitors, three leopard geckos (including one blind albino), and Harlequin- not all at the same time. When we moved, the only rescues remaining in our care were two leopard geckos (not the blind one- that one a gecko enthusiast fell in love with and adopted) and Harlequin. Beth took the geckos (since she adored them).

And Harlequin? Well, Harlequin's my three foot male ball python, still chillin' with me after the uber-long story of how I ended up with him and how I had to fight my evil ex to keep him. He made the 886 mile trip like champ and has always proven himself to be a docile enough snake to be handled by grown-ups and children. Most of the neighbors don't know he even exists. But, the few that do, along with friends of the family, are all convinced he's going to escape and hunt down children from the school behind my house with the intent to injure/kill. Meanwhile, there are two german shep mixes, a pit bull, a rottie mix, a golden, a lab, a wheaten terrier, and two beagles who are all easily excited and all walked when school gets out in the afternoon. *sigh*

If I ever get another snake/reptile, I would love, love, love to get an apricot pueblan milksnake. They're like Halloween threw up a snake. However, if you hadn't already figured it out, I'm a big fan of reptile adoption, so I'll probably end up with another ball or a red tail after Harlequin.

And, by the by, sweet panther chameleon. I'm sorry for your loss. I let one slip through my fingers when the LFS got one by accident and was trying to basically get rid of it (I'm woman enough to admit that, although I love them, they're not the pet for me).

Awesome GTP! They're so pretty, but they can be SOOOoooooOOOOO mean!

grgdnh said:
Anyone else here keep or are interested in reptiles. Before moving around and medical issues I used to keep and breed a decent amount of reptiles. Have been dying to set up a terrarium with poison dart frog. Used to keep mostly geckos, boas and frogs.

By the by- have you checked out http://www.aquariumdesigngroup.com for their absolutely incredible paludariums? I know there's some debate over the quality of their FOWLR setups and designs, but I don't think anyone could argue that ADG makes some ab-fab set ups and designs! There's even an awesome dart frog setup at the end that impresses not only with the frogs but the den orchids in the tank!

here's one of two RES turtles...I know she's not as pretty as the rest of the herps on this thread, but she's been with me for over a decade now...she lays eggs every summer...

IMG_3287.jpg

though hatchlings would be cool...RES are an invasive species in the rest of the world and parts of the US...really don't need anymore. :-\

Tank courtesy of MAVL666....I'll post pics...just haven't gotten the tank set up completely yet! ;)

wobbegong, they are SO MAGNIFICENT! WOW!!!! I've always wanted a snake, but unfortunately my husband is absolutely terrified of them. :( I've tried many ways to "change his mind", but I haven't been successful. Too long of a story to share it all.

When I realized I was unable to convince him to get a snake, I started with Arachnids instead. Go figure! He tolerated my tarantulas (almost 2 dozen), but didn't like the idea of a snake in the house. :eek:

---
Wendy

Amazing collection you have there Wobbegong. What else do you have? Wendy what species of tarantulas do you have?

Greg

grgdnh said:
Amazing collection you have there Wobbegong. What else do you have? Wendy what species of tarantulas do you have?

Greg

Greg, I "used" to have, and I don't know all of their "common" names:
Brachypelma smithi (Mexican Redknee)
Brachypelma emilia (Mexican Redleg)
Brachypelma boehmei (Mexican Beauty)
Brachypelma vagans (Mexican Redrump)
Acanthoscurria geniculata (Giant Black and White)
Avicularia avicularia (???)
Avicularia versicolor (???)
Nhandu chromatus (Black & Red)

I'm forgetting some - having a brain fart.

---
Wendy