• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anyone know about home theaters?

I am redoing my basement and I want to setup sound for home theater. I don't really know too much on how to tackle this and I only have a few days before the walls close up so any pointers will help.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I do AV for me job. In fact this week I am doing training on DSPs. Sound is more of my weaker area. What are you looking for?

I don't know what you know or what has changed for that matter from what I knew. I think the most important thing to do is run your wires(heck many speakers are wireless these days). If you get the wires you can just have them go to generally where you want the speakers. 5.1 is the usual two rear, two front L and R, and center plus your subwoofer. The sub is going to be the most likely speaker to be powered compared to the other 5 that are run off your receiver or amp. Also you will want the sub in the corner most likely for the best sound. Some surrounds have a microphone you set in your speaker area and can adjust the speakers to optimize the sound(Yamaha). If you have the wires run you can decide on in the wall speakers or mounted speakers after you are done. Just know you will have to have an power outlet close your entertainment center. I always use something like this.
Amazon.com: MON600019 - MONSTER 600019 PRO 600 Rack Mountable PowerCenter (TM): Home Audio & Theater
They have saved my system in the past. Also go with a good cable for the speakers, don't be cheap the bigger and better the speaker cable the less resistance and better sound you will get from the speakers. 7.1 surround adds extra two speakers ... usually center rear and moves the other speakers to the sides forgot to add that. Good cables and speaker wire are key IMHO. Hope that is somewhat helpful.

Well right now my wife threw out my 7.1 speakers when I wasn't home because she said they were no good... (they were) anyhow I would like to set up for 7.1 so when I can afford it we can do that again. My main problem is I don't really get the wiring. I see that there is 4 wire and 2 wire and different gauges. Now I would assume that thicker is better because you would be getting more data going over the copper.

I looked up the wiring and it showed each wire going to a different terminal which I would have thought I would only have 1 terminal at each location. So I understand 4 wire less than 2 wire but as for resale value of the house I want to put in whatever is best. I finally decided where I am going to put all the information (DVD, Cable, etc...) and I understand video easy enough.

Lastly I am trying to determine the best place to put the screen. I have a little L shape where I used to have a bar it is pretty dark and I am thinking that would be great for the screen but then there are 2 small side walls and I am not sure where the speakers should go. If I put the FR, FL and center would it reflect too much sound? I can't put the seating back there because then everyone would look at the bathroom as we watch something. Then there is the alternative wall but I would have the bathroom to the right and the old bar to the left (not horrible but annoying) and could always make that a bar again. I made a really bad sketch below. I am over stressed right now...

Sketch delete (looked terrible)

It is not more data but better flowing you don't degrade the signal but yeah more or less more data haha. That said I would not beat yourself up over 4 cable speakers unless you are going top top of the line. I have B&W speakers and I run everything on two cables. You can get flat wire or regular speaker wire all depends on how you plan on running it.
Sorry I cannot see any attachments at work.