• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anyone know how to drill??

I’m thinking of buying a brand new 120 non RR. Anyone here above average at drilling tanks? I’ve never done it before so I’m weary about spending the money just to destroy it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve drilled maybe four or five holes. It’s actually a lot easier than you would think. Just buy the right size diamond bit online and then keep watching glass drilling videos till the bit arrives.. You will be a pro after the first hole! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. Just make sure you don’t drill into tempered glass (usually the bottom of a tank).

I’ve drilled maybe four or five holes. It’s actually a lot easier than you would think. Just buy the right size diamond bit online and then keep watching glass drilling videos till the bit arrives.. You will be a pro after the first hole! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. Just make sure you don’t drill into tempered glass (usually the bottom of a tank).

How can I tell if it’s tempered?? Before I buy I’ll definitely ask. I’d be drilling the backside of the tank

Do you have to apply water as you’re drilling or just drill it dry?

Better than me explaining.
Do a search “drilling aquarium glass”

You will find not only the bits but also videos like this one .

go very slow towards the end to prevent the chipping part. That took me 2 holes to figure out. Very light pressure at the end...full speed on drill.

This probably won’t be happening for awhile just figured I’d throw it out there. Maybe I should practice in the meantime on a smaller tank... does thicker glass make the job more difficult?

One thing I didn’t see in that video is that you should cover the area of the hole with some sort of masking tape (on the inside of the tank) and put a folded towel where the blank of glass might drop inside the tank as well.

This probably won’t be happening for awhile just figured I’d throw it out there. Maybe I should practice in the meantime on a smaller tank... does thicker glass make the job more difficult?

Thicker glass just takes longer.

Same process, just takes longer. Patience is key. Don’t push it. Buy the bit and practice on scrap sheet of glass.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Thicker glass is easier. 10 gallon tanks are very difficult to drill. use a guide is the best. But I have drilled most of my tanks free hand. Tape the underside of the glass below the hole with some painter tape.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Make a guide, not needed but it makes it easier. Practice on an old tank if you can, it will help you build confidence.

I've drilled dozens of tanks. As stated above, make ABSOLUTELY sure it's not tempered. Feel free to call the manufacturers and they can usually tell you if you have the serial number or date of manufacture.

Secondly, high quality bit is crucial. Go slow and keep the drill vertical (glassholes.com has a very good tool to keep it steady for you. I highly recommend it if you're going to drill several holes)

Third, add plenty of water. It keeps the glass cool and also rinses out the glass millings. I used to use a ring of plumber's putty and kept adding new water. I've since found it better to use my garden hose to keep a steady heavy flow of water running across the area. Just lift the bit a few times to wash the millings out during the drilling process.

Last as mentioned above, tape on the inside of the proposed hole. It keeps the glass ring from falling in and cracking the glass. I also put a piece of cardboard inside to take the hit if the glass does fall.

One thing I cannot stress enough is TAKE YOUR TIME! The number one reason this can end poorly is if it is rushed. Measure 2 times then measure 2 more just in case. Make sure you have all tools in reach. Good water flow, and nice level surface. Good steady hand while drilling the hole. Those are the highlights.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks!! I’ve since found out that SCA can drill a tank for me made for a Synergy overflow so I’m probably just going to go that route this way I don’t shatter a very expensive tank haha!