• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anyone meeting up at any stores Saturday?

After seeing about 4 people gathered at Aquatic Obsessions last weekend, I figured people made group trips quite often. Anyone meeting up at any of the stores this weekend? I am girlfriend free tomorrow and ready to explore some more stores. I was thinking of going up North to the stores in the Hackensack area. I haven't been up there yet.

Matt

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Altohombre

The meeting last week wasn't planned it just happened that way :D. I don't know about the northern LFSs but there are always other club member at AO. Good luck on your trek and hope you pickup some great livestock.

Bob

i'll probably be at AO later. I'm trying to wire my Icecap 660 ballasts but if I can get it done then that's where i'll be.

I am planning to do the Reef Encounter, The Fish Tank, Absolutely Fish trip. I am pretty sure I am gonna get very lost with all this route 46 W mumbo jumbo. Pretty much looking for some smaller coral pieces to color up some nude parts of the tank.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Altohombre said:
After seeing about 4 people gathered at Aquatic Obsessions last weekend, I figured people made group trips quite often. Anyone meeting up at any of the stores this weekend? I am girlfriend free tomorrow and ready to explore some more stores. I was thinking of going up North to the stores in the Hackensack area. I haven't been up there yet.

Matt
Matt

It happened again at AO :D Hope you had a good trip.

Altohombre said:
I am girlfriend free tomorrow and ready to explore some more stores.
Matt

HAHA, take her with you, and get her interested in the hobby. Thats what I did, and she doesn't complain about me spending money anymore ;D ::)

well other than getting lost in Paterson because of a wrong turn on Valley Road everything was great. I wasn't all that impressed with Reef Encounter in terms of their livestock and corals, but they had a nice collection of dry goods and tanks. Not one person asked if I needed any help and actually while I was looking at a tank the one employee came over and made me move out of the way so he could take something out. I was a little turned off by it.

My next stop was The Fish Tank and I was a very nice and spread out store. Reminded me of the Hidden Reef's tanks, but with less bright lights. They had a large number of every fish as opposed to most LFS that only have 1 of most. They actually had 5 Midas Blenny's and I had only found 2 in total in the last month at all the other places. There was a friendly lady that I assumed may be an owner of some sort. She answered a question about a nudibranch that I asked and it was nice to look around with out many other people all fighting to see a tank.

My last stop was Absolutely Fish and this was my favorite of all 3 stops. Although it was hard to find and kinda ghetto from the outside the store was packed. They had many nice displays and a large number of tanks with multiple types of saltwater and a large freshwater selection. All the tanks were brightly lit and I only saw 1 dead fish in all the tanks. I was also amazed to see shark pods in several of the tanks for sale which I thought was neat. I had a couple people ask me if I was being helped which is at least nice to be acknowledged, but without being pestered like some places can be. I ended up buying a hammer frag, some sort of candy cane/brain that didn't have the stalk like my neon candy cane, and two freshwater fish for my lacking 10g freshwater tank. Overall, most of the corals seemed way overpriced for example some hammers were going for like 120 when I have seen them for about 90, and many other corals that I think were 100+ that should be under that. I didn't really pay much attention to the prices of fish because I don't really have any more room for more fish, but they had a great selection.

I will definitely visit The Fish Tank and Absolutely Fish again in the future.

Matt