• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anyone selling wild caught Seahorses?

Anyone selling wild caught Seahorses

I caught a wild female Seahorse Hippocampus erectus ---Lined seahorse -- size 4 1/2 inches in Shark River?

I have time to spend I would like to purchase a male.

i don't have any horses--- :(
i was down there a few weeks ago---only got some killies, stickleback, a few tiny crags, and i just noticed , an anemone ;D
my question is, where in shark river did you catch ' her' and how?

420_30_03_09_9_30_41_3.jpg

http://www.njreefers.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=1402.msg11236#msg11236
http://www.njreefers.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=1376.msg10866#msg10866
http://www.seahorse.org/

hurtback said:
i was down there a few weeks ago---only got some killies, stickleback, a few tiny crags, and i just noticed , an anemone ;D
OFF OF HWY.35 SOUTH SIDE OF THE RIVER.

hurtback said:
I CAUGHT HER HANGING ON MY CRAB TRAP ON THE SOUTH SIDE OF THE RIVER.
I GO EVERY WEEK WITH A FISHING NET AND SEARCH IN THE SEAWEED.
I HAVE BEEN THERE ABOUT 6 TIMES SINCE AND NO LUCK.

Go down to North Channel at Shark River and place killie traps with no bait off the docks, you can check them as much as you want, best if set overnight. Seahorses, Butter flys, small groupers ect, will just go inside and hang out. Once you catch something neat place more traps in that same spot. Iv caught 3-10 per day doing that.
Second spot is at the boat ramp by the beach, go down at night with a good flashlight at low tide and check out the rubble for horses. Never found them in the seaweed, they prefer deeper water with rocks or mussel bottom.
And for them to survive, start a Natural tank. Use NO LIVE ROCK but seed the tank with a teaspoon of river mud and a few rocks with a bit of seaweed. a cheap hang on filter works good. Make your own water and lights Ect just like a reef setup. as for food, take some clumps of mussels from the docks and swoosh around in a bucket of water, all kinds of copapods will dislodge, throw them in the tank. Also take home some of the mussels and half shell them then freeze them. drop a half shell in the tank daily and even the horses will pick at that.
GregH

whitebird if that's your tank with the seahorses. that's awesome. also would like to verify where shark river is located or the spot you guys are going too? in belmar, is there a land mark we can mapquest to try it out?

I have been going every week since I caught my seahorse but I have been looking in the shallows. I am going tomorrow with new cages and pick a different spot. I will
keep you posted if I get lucky. It was low tide when I caught my seahorse but
the tide was coming in.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
My son was at Asbury beach last week and found a small seahorse in the seaweed. It ate live brine and now it eats frozen plankton. Set it up in a small tank with LR and Cheato with a HOB filter. Doing great so far and would like to get 1 or 2 more. Is it the spot where everyone met and went scuba diving?

whitebird if that's your tank with the seahorses. that's awesome. also would like to verify where shark river is located or the spot you guys are going too? in belmar, is there a land mark we can mapquest to try it out?
My Collecting Tank at the time. Follow the Scuba Thread all the infos in there.
Shark River=07719=Belmar=Rt 35 (River Road) and L Street
Hope that helps!

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Greg,
That is where I thought, just wanted to confirm. I plan on going down there this weekend.
Mark

I was planning on going this week and purchasing some - Frabill Vinyl-Coated Round Minnow Trap or a Square Minnow Trap.
I want the holes large enough for a seahorse to enter and to be able to wrap
their tail around the wire I would add a perch and some sea grass to make
it look appealing.

MadReefer said:
My son was at Asbury beach last week and found a small seahorse in the seaweed. It ate live brine and now it eats frozen plankton. Set it up in a small tank with LR and Cheato with a HOB filter. Doing great so far and would like to get 1 or 2 more. Is it the spot where everyone met and went scuba diving?

DO you know what kind of Seahorse you found?
I found my seahorse in the Shark River
it is a Hippocampus erectus --Lined seahorse
it is a Female.

Male has a pouch, hard to miss. I set 12 traps in a horse area, saw a butterfly but I could not get him. See what happens by morning.

I have been back to the River a dozen times this summer I have purchased two very nice fish traps and put some shrimp in it with seaweed no luck finding any more seahorses.
I guess it was just luck --- there must not be many out in Shark River.

just wondering if its even legal to buy or sell inverts or fish that are native to nj.i know with freshwater fish or reptiles and amphibians its highly illegal and carries a HUGE fine no matter what kind of critter it is