• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anyone selling wild caught Seahorses?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
There are no laws governing their sale as there are no permits needed to collect them nor are there any restrictions on them. If there were a closed season and size limit then yes you would need a commercial permit to sell them.

panmanmatt said:
There are no laws governing their sale as there are no permits needed to collect them nor are there any restrictions on them. If there were a closed season and size limit then yes you would need a commercial permit to sell them.
interesting....

Scottyrock said:
just wondering if its even legal to buy or sell inverts or fish that are native to nj.i know with freshwater fish or reptiles and amphibians its highly illegal and carries a HUGE fine no matter what kind of critter it is

To fish in NJ you will need a license--The Lined Seahorse : Hippocampus erectus is not on the threatened or endangered list in the US - therefor it is "legal" to catch
a Lined Seahorse with a License.

http://ecos.fws.gov/tess_public/SpeciesReport.do?groups=E&listingType=L&mapstatus=1

And as long as Divers don't collect endangered specimens they can not get fined.
As for the sale of their (finds)- "If profitable that is between them and the IRS".

SO FISHING WITH A LICENSE THERE IS NO WAY OF GETTING A (FINE).
THERE IS NO LAW STATING THE PUBLIC CAN NOT KEEP WHAT THEY CATCH IN AQUARIUMS.

Correction-No license is needed in the ocean or tidal areas of NJ for recreational fishing or collecting.
I set traps myself and no horses! some years they are just more common then others